Acer Switch 10 wont turn on(SW5-271

Options
2»

Answers

• bzoly
    bzoly Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

Options
    I measured 0.00. I remember it was when the machine turned off with a 20 percent battery. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options
    Battery has very high self-discharge probably due to internal short. Also check the charger plug's DC voltage output between its center hole and outside contacts. Should be about 19volts. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bzoly

Tinkerer

Options
    I think it is good, I measured 19,7 V. So my battery is dead?
  • JackE
    Options
    Check all pair combinations of battery wires for any DC voltage. If all pair combinations also show 0.00volts, it is probably internally shorted and explains why the large #2 metal cover was getting hot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bzoly

Tinkerer

Options
    I check all combinations of black and red wires, it shows 0 V. 
  • JackE
    Options
    One more short-circuit test on the battery. How many ohms resistance do you measure between black & red battery wires. Also reverse multimeter probes in case the battery is diode protected. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bzoly

Tinkerer

Options
    I measured 694 Ohm. (The multimeter was on 2000)
  • JackE
    Options
    Seems too high. Did you get about the same value on reversing the multimeter probes? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bzoly

Tinkerer

Options
    I show you my measure. If I change the polarity nothing is measured. I try several settings, it showed only 1.

• JackE
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Yes. ~60 ohms is more like a shorted battery especially since it seems to be diode-protected. I think it might be worth trying to replace the battery even though they seem to be expensive for this model ~$40-50 USD. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• bzoly

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks, you are great. I will buy a new battery.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    You really ought to make that test using the 20V DC position, to see if the battery is working at all.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Options
    billsey Already done that earlier in thread. 0.00 volts measured in all battery's wire pairs. That's why we wanted to measure internal resistance as well before committing to buying a new battery. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ray_n
    ray_n Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    bzoly said:
    Thanks, you are great. I will buy a new battery.
    Hi,

Just found this thread.   I have an Aspire Switch 10 with very similar issues.   I found that the laptop can't be powered up with just the adapter and battery disconnected (though I thought the adapter power is 12V not 19V).

Did your new battery (AP14A4M) solved your problem?   Where did you buy the battery from?   I am trying to decide if I should order a new battery.  

Thanks in advance!

Ray