Aspire 3 A315-41-R9J2 SATA cable, HDD cradle and mainboard Schematic

Options
Doshua
Doshua Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all, I just purchased an Aspire 3 A315-41-R9J2, Ryzen 7 + Vega 10. It comes with 8GB RAM and a 250GB SSD on an M.2 card. I would like to add a HDD in the HDD compartment, but there is no SATA cable.

Does anyone know where I can find the following:
- Part numbers for the cable and the cradle for the HDD
- A schematic of the mainboard DH5JV, so I can see where on the mainboard I connect the Sata cable?

Any help is appreciated.

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,151 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    So the cable with the blue ends is not needed to connect, and I can just disconnect one end?
    Yes just to connect the HDD connector because this one is hidden by this ribbon cable. Don't forget to disconnect the battery before to do anything.
    France

Answers

• laurent_14
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hello,
    Here are the part numbers:
    50.GY9N2.003 - HDD CABLE
    33.GY9N2.001 - HDD BRACKET
    86.GCHN2.009 - SCREW 2D 3L K 4.5D ZK NL CR3 0.4T (screw M2.0x3.0 - Qty=4 - To fix bracket/lower case)

86.MXRN2.008 - SCREW 3.0D 3.0L K 4.9D NI (screw M3.0x3.0 - Qty=4 - To fix bracket/HDD)

HDD connector location:

France
  • Doshua

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you very much Laurent, But I am a bit confused. The daughterboard to the left seems to be connected to the HDD connection already?!
  • laurent_14
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You're welcome. Not at all, look at the red dots ;):

France
  • Doshua

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you again laurent. My confusion is because my mainboard and daughterboard is connected by the ribbon cable that is just laying around to the left

Like this (pic from the internet not my pc)

So the cable with the blue ends is not needed to connect, and I can just disconnect one end?

thank you again
  • laurent_14
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes just to connect the HDD connector because this one is hidden by this ribbon cable. Don't forget to disconnect the battery before to do anything.
    France
  • Doshua

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you laurent. Here's a virtual cold beer! ;)

the image is free from http://clipart-library.com

• laurent_14
    Options
    You're welcome! Thanks for the beer ;)
    France
  • Doshua

Tinkerer

Options
    I contacted Acer in Denmark, and was told that ACER does not offer a HDD Upgrade kit, which means that I had to buy each part individually. Acer referred me to zandparts.com and I ordered the parts needed. It cost almost 90 Euro, but the cable and HDD cradle alone was only 25 Euro. That means that I paid  65 Euro for 8 tiny screws. I am not happy about this. Acer Aspire 3 has 2 doors underneath to make upgrading RAM and HDD easy, so why not make a HDD Upgrade Kit?
  • colourbox
    colourbox Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    I need that HD to motherboard cable. London Ontario Canada. where cab I get it?
  • laurent_14
    Options
    colourbox said:
    I need that HD to motherboard cable. London Ontario Canada. where cab I get it?
    Hello,
    Do you only need an HDD cable?
    Do you already have the HDD bracket and screws?
    France
  • colourbox
    colourbox Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    yes only need cabel
  • laurent_14
    Options
    colourbox said:
    yes only need cabel
    Hello,
    France
  • Urkeytay
    Urkeytay Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    Sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead.  I added the sata flex cable on my unit, however Windows isn't seeing the 2.5" SSD I installed.  

Things I have done:
    Connected SSD via external USB enclosure and it reads just fine, so it's not the drive itself
    I checked the BIOS, and I can see both sata are enabled.  
    Where the cable connects to the mobo, I have inserted up and upside down as it seems to fit both ways.
    Checked disk management, but the drive isn't listed.

I'm starting to think the kit that I bought from Amazon is faulty.

Does anyone have any insight to this issue?  Thank you!