BIOS problem with Linux install on XC-330

Catch22
Catch22 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Trying to install Linux Mint 19 from a DVD on Acer Aspire XC-330 desktop.
It fails, and I'm guessing it is simply something in the BIOS-settings I should do, but what..?
There's no Windows or any OS on it at present and after trying several options inside the BIOS, I finally clicked Load Default Settings, so that's where I stand now.
F12 on boot used to offer the hard disk as well as DVD option to pick, but since loading the default settings I only see UEFI: Slimtype DVD A DA8AESH
I installed several times already (also with nomodeset, so I see all sorts of terminal stuff on the monitor), but it simply won't boot into Linux; once I click *Linux Mint 19.1 there's a black screen.
Last effort now is via OEM-install, where it asked something about wanting the UEFI and disregard other present OS's or not.
I went with th UEFI - fingers crossed..

Answers

• Have you tried installing by the pendrive? Have you downloaded an iso x64 from linux mint?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Catch22
    Have you tried installing by the pendrive? Have you downloaded an iso x64 from linux mint?
    I have tried installing by DVD.
    I tried 3 different ISO's even: LMint 18.3, 19 and 19.1 (all x64 of course)
  • Try installing by the pendrive!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Catch22
    Try installing by the pendrive!
    The DVD-install went fine, it is in the BIOS-settings where the problem is, I'm pretty sure.
    I have to figure out the exact settings needed to boot the installed system.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    I'm guessing it's still got Secure Boot on and the BIOS doesn't recognize the Mint image as a valid UEFI boot image. Turn off Secure Boot then add the Mint image as an allowed build.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Catch22
    billsey said:
    I'm guessing it's still got Secure Boot on and the BIOS doesn't recognize the Mint image as a valid UEFI boot image. Turn off Secure Boot then add the Mint image as an allowed build.
    I already tried with Secure Boot on as well as off.
    Launch CSM "always" as well as "never".
    I have been trying all sorts of settings inside the BIOS for a good 10 hours or so in total.
    How do I "add the Mint image as an allowed build"?

• billsey
    There are third party UEFI editors if the BIOS doesn't include one. You need to put the UEFI image for the Linux distribution in as authorized and the add it to the boot list so you can use it. Mint should have done this for you, but it might have to be done before Mint can get up enough to do the configuration.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Catch22
    billsey said:
    There are third party UEFI editors if the BIOS doesn't include one. You need to put the UEFI image for the Linux distribution in as authorized and the add it to the boot list so you can use it. Mint should have done this for you, but it might have to be done before Mint can get up enough to do the configuration.
    Thanks for your reply billsey, but I have no idea how one can "put the UEFI image for the Linux distribution in as authorized and then add it to the boot list".
    Can you please elaborate on what this entails? 

• billsey
    I don't have any of my system booting Linux in UEFI mode, so haven't gone through the process myself. I'd ask over on the Mint forums...
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited April 2019
    Step1:  Back up your important personal files because the following steps will wipe your HDD
    Step2: Load the BIOS defaults and install Windows 10 in UEFI mode (make sure the F12 Boot menu is enabled in BIOS).  Choose Custom install and delete all of your HDD partitions (wipe your drive) before your install Windows 10.  After your delete your partitions, press and hold power button until your computer shuts off.  Turn on computer and install Windows 10 choosing Custom install.  Just click Next and the Windows installer will automatically install Windows.
    Step3: After Windows 10 installs, update your BIOS to the latest if necessary
    Step4:  After you update the BIOS, then go in to your BIOS settings and disable secure boot and enable the F12 boot menu and then save/exit.
    Step5: Go in to Windows Disk Management and shrink your C drive by at least 35 GB.
    Step6: Restart your computer and boot your Ubuntu media by tapping the F12 key at Acer post logo, and install Ubuntu along side Windows.
    Step7: After you install Ubuntu, read the link below to fix grub if necessary (it will probably be necessary)

https://itsfoss.com/no-grub-windows-linux/

Edit: If you still have trouble then try Ubuntu 16.04 and then update using this method.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Catch22
    My uncle, whose desktop it is, got tired of the whole thing and decided to stick with Windows only.
    Thanks to all trying to help nevertheless of course!