SF314-54 Bios UEFI Firmware Update 1.11 from Insyde Software? Windows Auto Installed it but....

Options
HackInTheBox
HackInTheBox Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
SF314-54 Bios UEFI Firmware Update 1.11 from Insyde Software?  Windows Auto Installed it but.... its not on the list of firmware updates by Acer on the support page:  Here  Looked hokey because of the date... not to mention the fact I've been using and updating this laptop daily for 2 weeks.  

Is this firmware version supported? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,697 Trailblazer
    Options
    Press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. Post a screenshot of the right pane. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• madfry
    madfry Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    The latest version of Windows apparently allows manufacturers to pawn off the BIOS upgrade to Microsoft. Instead of you having to locate and install the BIOS by downloading it from the manufacturer's website or using the manufacturer's own system update utility, an update to the firmware will download the latest BIOS available on Microsoft servers. 

A few facts. 

1. Sometimes, the firmware available may not be the latest, compared to the website. Sometimes however, what is on Microsoft server may be the latest one, even preceding the one published on the manufacturer website. Happens to me a few time with HP laptops. 

2. Be very careful when updating that involves Intel's ME updates. I had one update that sort of skipped an ME update on the Predator Helios 300 and it sort of screwed something since the system claims that I don't have windows. Probably screwed up the encryption of something.