Is it normal Batterylife for a brand new Acer? Wow...

Options
GeTee
GeTee Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hy!

Yesterday I bought a brand new Acer Aspire 3 a315-41g-r0ty, it's a cool notebook but it has pretty strange battery life... With a fully charge its battery only last ~ 1hour 31 minutes then its reaching 19%. (Im only browsing the internet... Oper with 2-3 tab, mostly IT sites and a forum...) This is the second charging time is it normally or should I send it back and ask for a replacement? 
I know its in Hungarian, but Im attaching a taskmanager and an Aida64 screenshot.
Freshly installed Win10 with every driver, correctly installed.
Im really angry, and sad at this moment... I paid 580USD for it...  and its nowhere from the factory information incase of battery life, my 5,5 years old Sony VAIO Fit15e could achieve this battery time.  :s

Best Answer

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    GeTee said:
    tobimaru said:
    This machine has a roughly 35Wh battery. This is below average size for a laptop battery. Many have 45-70Wh batteries, the biggest being around 98Wh.

Still, 1.5hrs is short for even a 35Wh battery on a relatively low power machine. What you should do is review the Power Plan you are currently in. Go through the detailed Plan settings and enable any Power Saver features you come across. It's possible for the machine to shut off components, enter lower power states, etc.
    On top of that, if you get a program such as Throttlestop you can gain control of the CPU/system even more and do things like disable Turbo Boost, limit power consumption, etc. If you go this route you should be able to significantly increase the battery life of your laptop. 
    Thanks, but this is a brand new laptop (I set it to Perfomance Centric) but Im doing nothing just browsing and it cant hit 2 hours of battery time? Is it for real???...

Being new does not give the battery extended life. The numbers I described earlier are limits of the battery new or used. 35Wh on average is not going to get you multiple hours of usage without user optimization. You cannot simply set 'Balanced' power mode and double the battery life. You'll need to limit the CPU performance, likely disable Bluetooth, location services, and a number of other things Windows does in the background that eats power.

Answers

• GeTee

Tinkerer

Options
    An Aida screen in English... Strange It charged up 10% only in 11 minutes... :( 
  • tobimaru
    Options
    This machine has a roughly 35Wh battery. This is below average size for a laptop battery. Many have 45-70Wh batteries, the biggest being around 98Wh.

Still, 1.5hrs is short for even a 35Wh battery on a relatively low power machine. What you should do is review the Power Plan you are currently in. Go through the detailed Plan settings and enable any Power Saver features you come across. It's possible for the machine to shut off components, enter lower power states, etc.
    On top of that, if you get a program such as Throttlestop you can gain control of the CPU/system even more and do things like disable Turbo Boost, limit power consumption, etc. If you go this route you should be able to significantly increase the battery life of your laptop. 
  • GeTee

Tinkerer

Options
    tobimaru said:

Thanks, but this is a brand new laptop (I set it to Perfomance Centric) but Im doing nothing just browsing and it cant hit 2 hours of battery time? Is it for real???...
  • tobimaru
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    GeTee said:
    tobimaru said:

Being new does not give the battery extended life. The numbers I described earlier are limits of the battery new or used. 35Wh on average is not going to get you multiple hours of usage without user optimization. You cannot simply set 'Balanced' power mode and double the battery life. You'll need to limit the CPU performance, likely disable Bluetooth, location services, and a number of other things Windows does in the background that eats power.
  • GeTee

Tinkerer

Options
    Oksa, thanks :(
    Then its okay and I should'nt bring it back to the shop in case of a faulty battery?  (Thats my only and biggest question... every website even Acers original one says 6hour of battery time... should i bring it back or not?)
    Actually Im happier if it's just a kinda user error... I like this notebook actually!
  • tobimaru
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Consider this review, specifically the battery portion where they address runtime and testing - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-3-A315-41-Ryzen-3-2200U-Vega-3-SSD-FHD-Laptop-Review.306442.0.html

"The communications modules are disabled, the energy-saving functions are switched on and the display brightness is reduced to 150 cd/m²."

This is how they are achieving more battery life. WiFi is off, Bluetooth is off, all energy saving functions are enabled, and the screen brightness is dimmed very low. Are you doing all of this while browsing the web? If no, you cannot expect a similar battery life.

These types of claims can be confusing because the test method is a bit unrealistic. Still, if you spend time hunting down each setting and reviewing the power saving options; you may be able to achieve another hour or more on battery. Various features will need to be disabled though.
  • GeTee

Tinkerer

Options
    tobimaru said:
    Consider this review, specifically the battery portion where they address runtime and testing - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-3-A315-41-Ryzen-3-2200U-Vega-3-SSD-FHD-Laptop-Review.306442.0.html

"The communications modules are disabled, the energy-saving functions are switched on and the display brightness is reduced to 150 cd/m²."

This is how they are achieving more battery life. WiFi is off, Bluetooth is off, all energy saving functions are enabled, and the screen brightness is dimmed very low. Are you doing all of this while browsing the web? If no, you cannot expect a similar battery life.

These types of claims can be confusing because the test method is a bit unrealistic. Still, if you spend time hunting down each setting and reviewing the power saving options; you may be able to achieve another hour or more on battery. Various features will need to be disabled though.
    Thanks then i will live with it. I used with maximum brightness actually, with AC wifi after that i cant expect more than 1,5h with this using... I will create a new  Thanks for your anwsers!  :)