Buzzing sound when charging - Acer Nitro 5

Options
Learoy
Learoy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 2021 in Nitro Gaming
Recently i bought an Acer Nitro 5 with a SSD, and i've noticed that it makes a strange buzzing/fizzing sound from the up-left corner of the keyboard when the power cord is plugged in. Is that normal?
(It is 100% not the cooler) 

​//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    The power cord attaches in the upper right of the laptop, not the area the noise you are hearing comes from. I do not hear any similar noise from my Nitro 5 while unplugged or charging. 

If this is a sound you have to hold your ear to the laptop to hear, it's likely normal. The laptop does not advertise silent operation and the fans spin up to 6200RPM at maximum speed. 
  • Learoy
    Learoy Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2019
    Options
    But why i hear this noise only when the computer is charging?
    and this is a really strong sound

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    It's hard to say without a sample of the sound. The laptop enters a higher performance mode when plugged in. A number of hardware components like WiFi, CPU, RAM, etc switch states depending on whether there is AC power or not. You could be hearing some coil whine from a component as it enters it's higher power state? I notice this from the graphics card, but only when overclocked 1000MHz on the memory (not a factory setting).

The warranty steps involve shipping the laptop to Acer on your own dime, wait a week or more for diagnosis, and then wait to have the laptop shipped back (fixed or unfixed). The alternative being popping the laptop open yourself in about 15 minutes and having a look inside. I can tell you that a "mystery noise" is going to be hit or miss for Acer to diagnose. If they receive the laptop and do not hear the noise, they will likely ship it back saying it is fixed.
  • peckinin
    peckinin Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi, please can I ask if you ever found anything more out about this? Mine seems to be doing the exact same thing.
  • Nayem0007
    Nayem0007 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Learoy said:
    Recently i bought an Acer Nitro 5 with a SSD, and i've noticed that it makes a strange buzzing/fizzing sound from the up-left corner of the keyboard when the power cord is plugged in. Is that normal?
    (It is 100% not the cooler) 

same bro i am also hearing this sound