Wifi bugged out (Seriously need help!)

JasmineP
JasmineP Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Alright, I have limitations to computer knowledge, so bare with me.
For a straight week, my wifi hasn't been showing or connecting to my networks. It shows other networks (neighbors, free wifi, etc), but just not mine. I have all my networks known in my wifi settings.
I have tried everything. I will even list what I have done:
-Restarted the wifi modem.
-Restarted my laptop.
-Uninstalled the wifi adapter (and restarted my laptop to automatically reinstall it)
-Changed power settings to maximum performance.
-Network reset.
-Updated Windows.
-Updated wifi adapter (already updated anyway)
-Cleared unwanted files and such from my laptop.

My laptop is saying that the wifi adapter is working, when obviously it isn't.
The problem can't be the connection, because I've had my laptop sitting right in front of my modem, and it still wouldn't connect.
I have a feeling it's to do with the hardware.
The only way I'm able to get internet is with the Ethernet cable, which does work.

My parents bought this laptop as a Christmas gift in 2015. It was manufactured as a Windows 8, but it was upgraded to a Widows 10 before my parents bought it. The laptop was manufactured on 24/03/2014.
My laptop is an Aspire E5-571G.

This wifi problem is driving me insane. I can't find anyone else with the same problem, even my tech savy boyfriend has no clue what's going on. I feel like the only way to fix this is to get a new laptop or computer.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    >>> It shows other networks (neighbors, free wifi, etc)>>>
    >>>My laptop is saying that the wifi adapter is working, when obviously it isn't.>>>

Since laptop wifi adapter shows other router wifi networks but not your router wifi adapter, how did you conclude the laptop wifi adapter isn't working? I conclude the laptop adapter is working but your router wifi adapter isn't. Accordingly, I suggest turning off the router and modem for a few minutes. Then turn it  back on again to try to re-set the router. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning JasmineP !

I do not see any reason to buy another device.
    There are a few dozen possible solutions.

Have you tried to verify that the Fn + F3 function keys (wireless symbol) is on?
    Can you connect to other Wi-Fi networks other than yours?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• JasmineP
    JackE said:
    >>> It shows other networks (neighbors, free wifi, etc)>>>
    >>>My laptop is saying that the wifi adapter is working, when obviously it isn't.>>>

Since laptop wifi adapter shows other router wifi networks but not your router wifi adapter, how did you conclude the laptop wifi adapter isn't working? I conclude the laptop adapter is working but your router wifi adapter isn't. Accordingly, I suggest turning off the router and modem for a few minutes. Then turn it  back on again to try to re-set the router. Jack E/NJ

As I said, I have limited knowledge on how these work. I apologise.
    I have tried multiple times of turning the router off and on, usually for an hour.
    Other devices in the house connect to the wifi just fine, it's only my laptop.
  • JasmineP
    MaClane said:
    Good Morning JasmineP !

I do not see any reason to buy another device.
    There are a few dozen possible solutions.

Have you tried to verify that the Fn + F3 function keys (wireless symbol) is on?
    Can you connect to other Wi-Fi networks other than yours?

The wifi symbol is there, I do not have airplane mode on. I can connect to other wifi networks, like free wifis and my neighbours wifi, but not mine. Mine doesn't show up on the list.
    Most of the time it shows a faded wifi symbol with an asterisk, and sometimes it shows the wifi symbol with a red x (meaning there's no wifi networks at all).
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Right click on the wifi symbol and click on troubleshooting and let Windows automatically try to fix it. Note any error messages. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    What exact model of your router?
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• It is interesting that you inform the exact model of the notebook! Example e5-571g-35f0!
    Also, have you tried resetting the router?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)