E15-575 Battery Reset Button Digikey P/N?

Options
ehidle
ehidle Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
I need a digikey/mouser/arrow/future/etc... part number for the memory reset pushbutton that goes on the E15. Mine is stuck down and won't let go (this is apparently a known issue with this laptop). 

Any help locating one would be appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    This is likely a laptop industry-standard product that's not listed by a part number in the specsheets. I've had good luck with Digikey's chatline in finding unlabelled discrete mainboard components like this. Let them search their own catalog for you to try to find the right normally-on microswitch. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ehidle
    Options
    Thanks JackE, I think I found them on Amazon. 100pack for 5 bucks hah. We shall see!
  • ehidle
    Options
    Well the switch from Amazon was the correct one, so I replaced it. But the laptop still won't power on, even when plugged into the charger (which is working ... 19V output)...

Need some other suggestions for making this thing wake up.

Thanks!
  • JackE
    Options
    Will it turn on plugged in with the battery disconnected? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ehidle
    edited April 2019
    Options
    JackE said:
    Will it turn on plugged in with the battery disconnected? Jack E/NJ
    Nope. I also tried removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS settings. It's like it's just completely dead. 
  • JackE
    Options
    You may have another mainboard switch. A normally off safety switch that cuts all power to the mainboard when the cover is removed or misaligned. Look for a molded protrusion inside the cover that is designed to press against this switch in the on state.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ehidle
    Options
    Yep, already found that and taped it down when I started working on it :)
  • JackE
    Options
    Maybe tap the switch a few times to clean its contacts? Here's another related thread that I think eventually ended in a solder reflow.

Jack E/NJ

• ehidle
    edited April 2019
    Options
    That looks only vaguely familiar. I do have 11.3V at the battery terminals with the squat switch taped down and 19.3 from the charger in places where I would expect to find it. It's a mystery for sure. I do have a reflow oven here so I could try it. I don't have anything to lose at this point hah.
  • ehidle
    Options
    Nada. Zip. Zilch. 

I think I'm just going to replace it. No sense in throwing any more time at this unless there's some obvious way to wake it up :)
  • ehidle
    Options
    Is there a pad on the motherboard that can be driven/grounded that is equivalent to the power button? I'm wondering if the keyboard just went bad and so the mobo isn't getting the signal to wake up?
  • JackE
    edited April 2019
    Options
    It's possible the PowerButton board is shot or its mainboard flatflex ribbon cable came loose or needs re-seating. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ehidle
    Options
    I don't see that this laptop has a separate power button or daughter board. The power button is just one of the chiclets on the keyboard. 
  • JackE
    Options
    That's from the power-on troublshoot flow page. To where does the power button connect? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I think that fellow JackE is referring to this power interruption button:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ehidle
    edited April 2019
    Options
    It does not appear that any of the ribbon headers on the board are labeled, but the keyboard seems to connect to a narrow 4-5pin ribbon header near the connector for the DVD drive. 

Like I said, the power button is just one of the chiclet keys on the keyboard. It's just like any of the other keys except it has a power symbol on it. I imagine it connects to the motherboard via that keyboard ribbon connector. The only "daughterboard" I can find in the laptop is the Synaptics touchpad. 

egydiocoelho I have already taped the safety switch closed so that it would not be an issue in troubleshooting :)

• JackE
    Options
    Then I guess re-seating the KB connector on the bottom a few times should be tried. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ehidle
    Options
    Yep, all of those ribbons have been re-seated and are definitely in there. Not sure what to do next TBH. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Take a few 200mg ibuprofen tabs, remove two screws marked "B" above from the mainboard and anything else that looks meltable, and bake it on aluminum foil for 15 mins in your toaster oven preheated to 425*F. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ehidle
    Options
    Thanks Jack, but I already did a reflow this morning in our reflow oven. I x-rayed the BGAs and found no problems and inspected the rest under microscope. All the soldering looks okay.