using google smart lock to unlock chromebook with my samsung galaxy - Acer 14 CB3-431

JBrooks5
JBrooks5 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My phone used to unlock my chromebook with smart lock ( samsung J7) I now have a samsung galaxy s10e, and it doesn't unlock my chromebook (acer 14 cb3-431). I have tried enabling the phone in settings, and once it finally decides to pair, it will unlock giving an error message saying it failed to pair device. Please help. I like being able to unlock my chromebook with my phone.

Best Answer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good afternoon JBrooks5 !

To work, the technology requires Windows 10 with Creators Update an the notebook must have TPM support.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good afternoon JBrooks5 !

To work, the technology requires Windows 10 with Creators Update an the notebook must have TPM support.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• JBrooks5
    Hello MaClane,
    Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, my acer did not come with any Windows programs installed on it. So I guess I won't be able to use the smart lock anymore. I appreciate your help.
    JBrooks5
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    The Windows thing isn't really relevant when looking at the interaction between an Android phone and a Chromebook. :) It sounds like the issue is with pairing the Chromebook and the new phone. It's possible the new phone doesn't support this, but more likely there's a chicken and egg situation where they are trying to pair with each other, and both ends are expecting something the other end isn't doing. When the initial pairing is attempted there should be a popup on the other side that you have to acknowledge before continuing.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JBrooks5
    Hi Billsey,
    I think you are right. I believe it had something to do with pairing as well. I did receive, a couple of times, a pop up that asked me to confirm the same numbers were showing on my laptop and my phone. I clicked ok on both devices. They paired, connected, and then I received an error message saying failed to pair my phone on the chromebook. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for the insight.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Isn't there a way to type the numbers in at that point?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.