USB-C Port on my new Acer H257HUSMIDPX appears to have just died last night

Options
tetesept99
tetesept99 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 16 in 2019 Archives
I bought this monitor brand-new off Amazon less than 6 months ago and had been using it fine via USB-C to power my Macbook Pro and also provide high-res display output at a decent framerate.

The USB-C port was always a bit fickle, even the lightest touch would cause the Acer monitor to lose the signal.

Last night it was acting up again so I was adjusting it and then it just went out. Plugged it in and out of my Macbook, reset the SMC on the Macbook and tried everything else but nothing works over USB-C anymore.

I can use it via HDMI but at 24 Hz the display is awful to use.

Any suggestions? What could it be? How do I troubleshoot what's wrong?

Answers

• BlueBait
    BlueBait Member Posts: 59 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    try buying new connector if the new connector is not working the port is the problem
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    It certainly sounds like an issue with the port or the cable. Since it was intermittent with the cable the first step is as BlueBait suggested, try a different cable. If that gives the same symptoms let us know and we'll try and dig deeper.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    USB-C is rated for about 8,000 insertions which is actually fairly low and a representation to the fragility of this connection design.

Only because you mentioned the MacBook; are you certain the loose connection is on the monitor side? It very well may be, but one thing first. A quick search of loose USB-C connections results in many MacBook owners having a connection problem on the laptop side. Worth checking at least. Do other USB-C devices connect just fine?
  • tetesept99
    tetesept99 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi all -- thank you so much for the suggestions. I have tried both USB-C ports on the mac and every other device that I use over USB-C works fine. I can run external docking devices with SD readers, USB-C to USB converters to power my keyboard and mice.

Yesterday, I went on Amazon and bought myself a brand new USB-C cable as well -> https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0793MG1GK/

but alas: no dice. The monitor does not respond. 

Now I need to send it back I guess, using HDMI at 24 HZ is painful!