M3985 GX 1050 TI Graphics Card Update

Batman15
Batman15 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hello,

I purchased a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti to install into an M3985 desktop. Upon installing, like other posts on this board, the system stays stuck at the boot screen with 30 second beeps. That's if you plug the hdmi into the new graphics card.  If you plug the hdmi into the existing integrated video with the new card plugged in, you get a black screen with more frequent beeps.  Has anybody been able to update a graphics card with this model or this MOBO too incompatible?  I've tried disabling quiet boot to no avail.

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    This system is equipped with a 300W power supply from the factory. Could you be overdrawing it with the new 1050 Ti card?

While researching it seems a number of users with this issue resolved it by updating their BIOS version. If you are not on the latest version, review what changes have been made and consider updating. 
  • Batman15
    edited April 2019
    tobimaru said:
    This system is equipped with a 300W power supply from the factory. Could you be overdrawing it with the new 1050 Ti card?

While researching it seems a number of users with this issue resolved it by updating their BIOS version. If you are not on the latest version, review what changes have been made and consider updating. 

I actually purchased this model of video card because it's promoted for it's low power consumption.  It maxes out at 75 Watts.  Under current conditions, the pc doesn't even go over 100 W so it's well within the 300 W range of the power supply.  In terms of updating the BIOS, I don't even know if it's possible since I've upgraded to Windows 10 from the original Windows 7 when the Aspire was purchased in 2012.  Do you know where I could find BIOS updates?  What Acer offers is pretty old and I doubt it will do anything.  A lot of people are saying to disable secure boot but I don't even see that in the BIOS options.
  • BriceC
    BriceC Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hello Batman15,
    one year after your last post, did you finally manage to make your system work ?
    I have the same problem as you, and the bios update to P01-A2 didn't solve anything ;(

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    IIRC the M3985 came originally with Windows 7 and had a Legacy BIOS. Many, if not all, of the newer GPUs require a UEFI BIOS in order to work. They will not work in the older machines. You need a GPU that's either old enough to be expecting the old BIOS or one that's been designed to not use any of the newer functions at startup.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Batman15
    edited July 2020
    BriceC,
    I never got it working and gave up and sent the video card back.  Based on what billsey posted, I agree and don't think it's possible.
    I ended up buying a mid-range gaming pc later in the year.  It just wasn't worth trying to refit this Acer model.