Dual Boot Kali Linux with Windows 10

ramnikgarg
ramnikgarg Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I have just bought ACER Nitro 5 AN515-52 76VR, and would like to dual boot windows 10 and Kali Linux (any version!) on it. Windows appears to run with no problem, but when I try to install Kali from a usb it skips the first installation type page and jumps straight to the manual repartition page, but with no partitions actually shown. Running parted -l shows nothing, but running sudo parted -l shows the existing partitions.

I have a 1tb had with a 16gb optane drive, as seems to be common in similar devices. I have seen people with similar problems suggest the problem is Intel's rst sata controller.

Ideally I would like to install linux with drivers to support the optane memory. Does anyone know if/when that will be possible?

If not, has anyone successfully installed windows in ahci mode on this machine? Ive tried both the regedit method and restarting in safe mode after changing to ahci in the bios method which I've seen in various places, but neither seem to work for me.

Also, is this issue likely to affect any machine with a hdd accelerated using Intel optane?

or should i remove intel optane and install a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512GB NVME drive & like to know is NVME drive supports my lapyop?

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning ramnikgarg !

Firstly, what reason to install the Kali distro?
    Are you familiar with Linux?
    Do you know that this distro has specific functions?
    Do you have advanced shell knowledge?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• charliegarg
    charliegarg Member Posts: 31 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I have just bought ACER Nitro 5 AN515-52 76VR, and would like to dual boot windows 10 and Kali Linux (any version!) on it. Windows appears to run with no problem, but when I try to install Kali from a usb it skips the first installation type page and jumps straight to the manual repartition page, but with no partitions actually shown. Running parted -l shows nothing, but running sudo parted -l shows the existing partitions.

I have a 1tb had with a 16gb optane drive, as seems to be common in similar devices. I have seen people with similar problems suggest the problem is Intel's rst sata controller.

Ideally I would like to install linux with drivers to support the optane memory. Does anyone know if/when that will be possible?

If not, has anyone successfully installed windows in ahci mode on this machine? Ive tried both the regedit method and restarting in safe mode after changing to ahci in the bios method which I've seen in various places, but neither seem to work for me.

Also, is this issue likely to affect any machine with a hdd accelerated using Intel optane?

or should i remove intel optane and install a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512GB NVME drive & like to know is NVME drive supports my lapyop?

I am also confused about Samsung 970 plus 512gb nvme drive? Can anyone please confirm it
  • ramnikgarg
    MaClane said:

Yes i know the purpose of installing it and its not specific to kali linux. Its problem with other linux distributions as well like ubuntu too. I tried with ubuntu as well
  • ramnikgarg
    MaClane said:

Yes i know the purpose of installing it and its not specific to kali linux. Its problem with other linux distributions as well like ubuntu too. I tried with ubuntu as well
  • MaClane
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• MaClane
    Have you set up Sata Mode in AHCI or RST with optane mode?

Here too: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1786241

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• ramnikgarg
    MaClane said:
    Have you set up Sata Mode in AHCI or RST with optane mode?

Here too: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1786241

its still RST with optane. When i enable optane memory in windows and reboots Linux grub menu go away and only windows got  booted up