Nitro N50-600-EB14 confused about ram max speed.

ivanlourens
ivanlourens Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello I would like some help. I purchased this tower recently, the motherboard can take 64GB ram but it came with 16GB 2666 so I assumed it was able to OC however I installed 64GB 3333 ram to find that it is only running at 2400. The bios gives no options to change speed, voltage, latency. Does this mean that the original 2666 ram was only running at 2400? Can someone help me figure out or tell me how to get it to run above 2400 because if it cannot go above and beyond 2400 then I think it is false advertising to sell a tower with 2666 ram. I am not ranting or upset, I simply dont want to have wasted $705 on ram and in all honesty although it's not the most money in the world I did spend $1600 on the tower and at that price plus the 2666 speed advertised I did not say to myself hey Ivan why dont you check the bios, I mean had it been a $500 tower and 2400 speed ram then sure that raises red flags in terms of OC but not with the price and info provided. Don't want to seem like I am repeating myself, just want the full pic to be painted in hopes of getting some good news. Please could anyone with the right information help me overcome this problem. Thank you

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,409 Trailblazer
    Hi @ivanlourens your motherboard supports memory module with a maximum speed of 2666 Mhz. even if you put a memory module, compatible with the motherboard, with higher speed, it will only work at the maximum speed that the slot uses.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• ivanlourens
    Thank you. So to be clear if I install 2666 then it will run at 2666, because it is currently at 2400. There is no way to adjust to 2666 so I hope that you are saying it will adjust automatically.
  • Alejandro_AC
    No, the speed will be adjusted to the speed of the lower speed memory module, if the module currently installed in the computer works at 2400, if you place a 2666 memory module, it will also work at 2400.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

X (Twitter)

• ivanlourens
    Then why did it come with 2666 ram if you saying it will only run at 2400, that does not make sense and that's what I am trying to figure out. There is non 2400 installed, I dont own 2400 ram only 2666 and 3333, I removed to 2666 to install the 3333 but it runs at 2400
  • Alejandro_AC
    I do not know, according to the manual, the motherboard works with 2666/2400 memory modules, if it only has 2666 memory modules and a memory module is installed to 3333, in theory, it should work at 2666, but if he does it to 2400 I do not know the cause.

X (Twitter)

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited April 2019
    Your Nitro N50-600-EB14 mainboard does support 2666 DDR4.  It supports the JEDEC profile 2666 CL=19.
    Unfortunately the RAM that you purchased doesn't support JEDEC 2666-DDR4 CL=19

To find compatible 2666 DDR4 with your N50-600-EB14 you can go to Crucial's website or click the link below.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/nitro-50-n50-600

You can see from the userbenchmark link that someone is using Crucial at 2666.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15161943

You can see by this link that someone else made a similar mistake as you by purchasing Gskill 3200 that doesn't clock down and support JEDEC profile 2666 at CL=19.  His/her memory clocked all the way down to 2133 before it found a suitable/compatible JEDEC profile.

Bottom line----you should purchase DDR4-2666 CL=19 such the Crucial/Micron (example) in link below if you want 2666.  It's possible that your mainboard supports more 2666 JEDEC profiles, but I have no idea what they are and have no way of finding out.  

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/nitro-50-n50-600

How do I know your desktop supports 2666-DDR4 CL=19 when I don't even own your desktop ?

Because I looked at the Crucial part # in this person's computer, and then I matched it up on Crucial's website and looked at the specs.  The specs say 2666-DDR4 CL=19

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ivanlourens
    Winner winner chicken dinner! Jordan B you are awesome thanks dude
  • HeeLeong
    HeeLeong Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Dear Pal,
    Not sure if preinstall 4GB*2 and add in 2piece 8GB *2 will coz any problem in term of compatible and performance.  My currently preinstall with ADATA AM2P26KC4R1-BXTS 4GB *2 thinking of install in 8GB *2 will it having issue on the DUAL channel. Or in the other word will it degraded or should i just purchase back the 4GB *2 make it total of 16GB
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    The lesson here is not to buy RAM because it appears to be correct, instead use a reputable manufactures Memory checking tool such as Crucial who guarantee compatibility 

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• HeeLeong
    HeeLeong Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Dear Team,
    Just upgrade my ram with Adata 8GB *2.  The initial problem - system no post with constant beeping. Final finding: The RAM need to add in piece by piece.  Cannot add in all and restart. Have to add in one restart - shut down and add in then restart again. Not sure any different but i put the 8GB in 1 3 slot then the original 4GB in 2 4 slot.  In fact not seen any performance improve might be i am not running ram intensive program.