Updating drivers on A717-72G-700J

Options
ys876
ys876 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an A717-72G-700J (Aspire 7 NH.GXEAA.005).

Windows Update does not indicate the need for any new drivers at the moment.

Neither does Acer Care Center. And all the drivers available on Acer's support page seem to be older:

The Intel Driver & Support Assistant, however, begs to differ:

It found FOUR drivers that could be updated to newer versions:

Moreover, DriverPack seems to indicate that there are no less than FOURTEEN drivers that could be updated:

My questions are:

1. I'm not facing any huge issues with my hardware or drivers, at least not noticeably. I just want to keep my machine up to date with the latest software, and plus I intend to update the BIOS at some point soon. Given this, should I update all these drivers?

2. If so many drivers are having more recent versions, why aren't either Windows Update or 
Acer Care Center downloading them automatically? Does this indicate a flaw in my Windows Update tool, or is this because I should only update those drivers that Acer Care Center specifically asks me to??

3. If it is indeed the case that I can and should update these drivers, is DriverPack reliable? Could its report of fourteen drivers having newer versions be a correct assessment? How else can I determine what drivers my machine really needs?

Answers

• reddog000
    reddog000 Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options
    Hey ys876 

I have the same exact Acer model as you and I also use the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.  I am no expert but this is what I would do if I were you.

1) First things first.  If you are using DriverPack 2019 I would stop immediately.  When I try to download DriverPack 2019 (from ANY website) my ESET Internet Security blocks me from downloading the file.  I just researched this program and found it to be HIGHLY SKETCHY.  DO NOT USE!

2) The reason the driver updates are not showing in Windows Update or Acer Care Center is because they are not that important to the continued update and security of your laptop.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

3) Since you have DriverPack 2019 installed you might as well use the info in that program to go to the Manufacturers website and download the correct driver from there.  I would immediately try to delete DriverPack 2019 from my laptop.  But from what I have read once you install DriverPack 2019 you are unable to completely get rid of it from your computer.  From other DriverPack users they say it may seem like it is uninstalled but it would show up again after visiting certain websites.

This link I am providing is for a reputable program (Driver Booster 6) from a reputable company IObit.  They have been around for many many years and are trusted.  So if you encounter a warning when trying to install this it is a false positive.  Here is the link:  https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

If you have any questions just leave them here and I will try and respond if I can.  Good luck.  Enjoy :)
  • reddog000
    Options
    Oh yeah forgot to mention this.  The only driver I would keep tabs on is your video card driver.  SInce you have the NVidia 1060 w/6GB I would download GeForce Experience program from here https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us  It will let you know pretty much every month when a new driver is available for download. 
  • ys876

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @reddog000,

Many thanks for taking the time and for your valuable comments. I am in the process of trying out your suggestions and will report back with the results soon, good or bad :)

Meanwhile, have you tried updating the BIOS? My device came with version 1.19 out of the box. I suppose your device came with a later version installed.

The whole thing about getting all the latest drivers came about because I'd read that it's better to have the latest drivers when updating BIOS.

Thanks again, mate.
  • reddog000
    Options
    Oh no worries ys876 you are welcome.

My laptop also came with version 1.19 BIOS out of the box.  I did update the BIOS to the latest one...1.25 I think?  Having all the drivers up to date when updating the BIOS helps when, by chance, a driver or PC component does not get recognized or has come out with a new feature.  That Driver Booster 6 will update what you need.  I have OCD LoL so I usually upgrade my drivers especially when I first buy a new PC.  After that I only check for new component drivers about every 6 months or so.  If there is an UBER important driver update...that is when Windows Update or your Acer Care Center will kick in and let you know.

Again this is just my opinion as I am no expert.  Just an old self taught geezer...:)  Just post here if you need to ask anything.  I am still getting use to my new Acer Aspire too.  I will try to help if I can.
  • ys876

Tinkerer

edited April 2019
    Options
    Hi @reddog000,

Glad to hear the BIOS update was successful and went without a hitch. I presume you went directly from 1.19 to 1.25 ... :)

Btw have you noticed that Acer has provided a "Firmware Update" for the SSD? I just found it. It is listed in the BIOS section under "Drivers and Manuals" on the support page.

Have you installed this particular firmware? I'm a bit confused because the update is titled 'Intel 760p', and I'm pretty sure that what we have installed on this model is an Intel 600p PCIe NVMe SSD. Please provide your opinion on this.

Thanks & Regards ..... :+1::+1:
  • reddog000
    Options
    Hello @ys876,

Yes I went from 1.19 to 1.25 on the BIOS.

Yep we have Intel's 600p Series SSD not the 760p Series. I tried installing the firmware update but since it is not part of our setup it just does not install.  It just flashes a small black screen and then just quits.  So it is not for our laptop (Acer seems to be in error putting this into the SSD drivers section for our setup).  Hope that helps :)

• ys876

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    Options
    Hi @reddog000,

Thanks for your help with the drivers. I did use the IOBit driver update tool you linked to, and fortunately not too many drivers were out of date.

Have you updated your Nvidia driver from GeForce experience? How was your experience with it? Did it change or improve anything? Please see this question, if you can. Thanks.
  • ys876

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @reddog000,

Thanks for your help with the drivers. I did use the IOBit driver update tool you linked to, and fortunately not too many drivers were out of date.

Have you updated your Nvidia driver from GeForce Experience? How was your experience with it? Did it change or improve anything? Please see this question, if you can. Thanks.