Does Acer Nitro Ryzen 5 AN515-42 AMD supports M.2 NVMe?

Options
Danish54ali
Danish54ali Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi,

New Here....
Just want to know does Acer Nitro Ryzen 5 AN515-42 AMD supports M.2 NVMe SSD.

Best Answer

• IVAN_PC
    IVAN_PC ACE Posts: 7,495 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi.

Storage Subsystem 
    SATA HDD  
    Storage 1 : M.2 2280 for SSD (PCIe/SATA Co-lay) 
    Storage 2 : 9.5mm/7mm co-lay (Support HDD Door)

Yes, it supports NVMe PCIe.

Best Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.

Answers

• IVAN_PC
    IVAN_PC ACE Posts: 7,495 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi.

Storage Subsystem 
    SATA HDD  

Best Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.
  • manishmanidinkar
    manishmanidinkar Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    IVAN_PC said:
    Hi.

Storage Subsystem 
    SATA HDD  

Best Regards.
    is this correct ?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    IVAN_PC said:
    Hi.

Storage Subsystem 
    SATA HDD  

Best Regards.
    is this correct ?
    Hi,
    There are few people had problems with NVMe SSDs in this model , so i would suggest you to go for a M.2 SATA SSD, I think there is some incompatibility between NVMe drives and AMD chipset.
  • Nitro_Mac
    Nitro_Mac Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Last month, I contacted Acer Tech support (India) regarding this issue. After some deliberations, they said that this model supports NVMe SSD. But, they could be wrong. Only way to find out is to update the Bios to v1.16, install the NVMe SSD and see if it gets detected by Bios or OS.
  • Nitro_Mac
    Nitro_Mac Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I read somewhere in this forum that the NVMe SSD was detected by the Windows OS, but not by Bios. In that case, it appears to be a Bios problem. If so, disabling/unplugging/formatting the HDD, might force the Bios to boot from this SSD (if it has a valid OS).
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    No, it's hardware. The PCIe/SATA Co-Lay means the slot supports PCIe or SATA M.2 cards, NVMe needs a faster bus.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Danish54ali

Tinkerer

Options
    as you can see slot type is M.2 Nvme
  • Danish54ali

Tinkerer

Options
    Why Put NVMe Slot when it doesn't support the same
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hi @Danish54ali
    Both slots look same but the difference may be in the chipset, mainly we have problem with AMD chipset, for some unknown reason.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    I don't know what information Support is or is not giving but I have this model and it supports SATA only, see official Acer chart below

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Kavin15
    Kavin15 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    IVAN_PC said:
    Hi.

Storage Subsystem 
    SATA HDD  

Best Regards.
    is this correct ?
    Does is really support?? Did anyone tried it? 
  • BudapestNair
    BudapestNair Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Kavin15 said:
    IVAN_PC said:
    Hi.

Storage Subsystem 
    SATA HDD  

Best Regards.
    is this correct ?
    Does is really support?? Did anyone tried it? 

I bought the Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB three days back and unfortunately it does not work!
    I have the amd version and bios updated to v1.18

hence beware all of you who is gonna upgrade ur laptop ...check if NVMe is supported by googling "Your_verion_of_laptop specs"...
  • THERAJATSHAHARE
    THERAJATSHAHARE Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Acer is really money greedy as they provide wrong information to the consumer's to purchase their products and after that gives some nonsense reason that "this may be because of some unknown reason..."

I think after all this I never ever recommend Acer products to anyone in my whole life.
  • THERAJATSHAHARE
    THERAJATSHAHARE Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hi,

New Here....
    Just want to know does Acer Nitro Ryzen 5 AN515-42 AMD supports M.2 NVMe SSD.
    Hey bro!
       I think after so many talk with many people's and in AMD community forum I think that our laptop supports PCle NVMe M.2 SSD but as people here saying that they're facing problem that may because of compatibility issue of that particular NVMe SSD.

I asked for help in AMD forum - [ https://community.amd.com/t5/newcomers-start-here/does-amd-ryzen-5-2500u-an515-42-supports-nvme-or-sata-type-m-2/m-p/495925#M1372 ] and one of the community member help me out. Read on thread for more.

I think most problematic thing is Acer Support team also don't know about these things as they're more confused than me to find the answer that wether it's NVMe M.2 or ONLY SATA type M.2 slot. It's actually not just NVMe M.2, it's PCle M.2 SSD and we have to check it's compatibility for sure to check which NVMe perfectly compatible with this motherboard. [ https://laptopmedia.com/in/series/acer-nitro-5-an515-42/ ]

I hate Acer from now as because their customer service it's literally bad. They don't even know about the product which they are selling. Pathetic!