E17 E5-774g -57NH Black Screen Issues

Options
Piklz
Piklz Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me as this is driving me round the bend, recently following W10 and some driver updates my screen has failed to come back on. Laptop powers up, is operational and can use via a (HDMI) second screen. I have tried most of the methods online to no avail, I have previously managed to get the screen back momentarily mucking around with driver version only to black out again shortly there after. 
What I have noticed is devices in device manger appear maybe different like there is a super seeding generic version, but can't be sure. I have done a clean install of win 10, loaded both the standard and kaybe lake versions of drivers, bios has been updated but I dont feel this completed ok (dont think it restarted first time), reset this back to factory this time for it to reset and not much happen after that, I can't seem to really get bios recovery to work from USB, but this could be me, not sure what else to try.
Another thing I dont get is bios says this is running in UEFI, but I down load bios versions, is UEFI correct? if you go advanced recovery uefi, just brings you back to bios, legacy mode PCIE dont work, but does under uefi??

also just ran SFC /scannow on pretty fresh install and had corrupted files

Acer E5-774g -57NH 
W10 10.0.17763 version 17763
system type says x64-based pc /achi based in device manger seems weird
bios V1.27
smbios 3.0
embedded controller 2.30
plaform role mobile (is that right)

seem to have few conflicts/sharing Pci/motherboard resources/audio/host control/
plus fault bucket scripteddiagfailures

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>Laptop powers up, is operational and can use via a (HDMI) second screen.>>>

HDMI out a good sign. If you haven't done so already, try to turn the laptop screen on with the FN+F6 toggle key combo. If still no joy, in HDMI screen open Control Panel and search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. Make sure system protection was/is turned on. Then click 'system restore' button. Click 'next'. Select an automatic Win10 restore point with a date stamp about when you lost the screen. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Piklz
    Options
    I managed to get it back twice after posting this question but I still dont understand what the issue is and why it continues to stop working. 
    I restored it those 2 times by repeating the bios upgrade procedure a number of times and one of them I removed Microsoft bios manager driver (or similar) in device manager before updating bios again.
    So 2 closely related but slightly different fixes and I dont understand why having restored the screen (if was a bios or driver issue) sometime later it would fail again, without anything else being applied or updated?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    If it's still happening intermittently/unpredicatably, the video ribbon cable probably has conductor cracks in the hinge area from opening/closing the lid too much. Google part # 50.GEYN7.001  or E5-774G lcd cable for replacements. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Piklz
    Options
    Cheers will have a look