Unable to boot Desktop (Acer Aspire GX-781)

Options
wenbin1
wenbin1 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I own an Acer Aspire GX-781
I sent it once to my local Acer service center for repair in December 2018 for sound related issues. They said that the motherboard was the one with issues and they replaced it (not sure if it's a brand new mobo), everything was fine after the repair.

In 2019 Feb, i started experiencing some boot issues. When i press the power button, the desktop will turn on and off rapidly. At the beginning it only lasted for 4-6 seconds and then it just boots up normally. After some days, it became worse, the cycle lasted for more than 30 seconds. I decided to sent it to the Acer service center for repair. However i was told that on their end it booted perfectly, no such issues were observed, and they did not replace any components. When i received my computer, to my surprise the issues were gone. I even asked if there is anything to do with the power cables, the technician said unlikely.

Fast forward to April, i experienced the same issues again. But after a few days, it got even worse. Once i press the power button, it will turn on and then off immediately, without cycling. I can only hear the fan starting and the hard disk running i believe. Unlike the previous occasions, the power button did not light up and the computer did not cycle on and off states by itself.

What i tried to do,
Switched the power cables
Switched the wall outlet
Switched the extension plug

My computer usage is about 2 days a week, 6-12 hours a day or so.

It doesn't work. Anyone is able to advise on this?
I am gonna bring it down to the service center again when i am free, but i am just extremely frustrated because this unit is less than a year old and has been causing so much troubles and i have to do important work using it.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    When you try to turn on the computer, do you hear any beep? Try doing this procedure to reset the battery: unplug the desktop from the electrical outlet and press the power button for thirty seconds! Then plug the desktop directly into a properly grounded outlet and test it!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • wenbin1
    Options
    No beep sound was heard.
    I tried your suggestion, doesn't work. Still having the same fault.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Are you plugging the desktop into some kind of adapter, such as a stabilizer or no-break? Or are you connecting the desktop directly to the electrical outlet? Also, how long ago did the notebook come back from repair?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • wenbin1
    Options
    During normal usage, my desktop is plugged into an extension outlet, the extension is then connected to the wall outlet. 

However i tried to boot the desktop without the extension on another wall outlet, didn't manage to boot.

The most recent "repair" was in February, i sent it to the acer local service center for the boot issues. However on their end, they managed to boot perfectly fine, without any issues that i mentioned. So they sent it back without performing any repairs.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    wenbin1 said:
    In 2019 Feb, i started experiencing some boot issues. When i press the power button, the desktop will turn on and off rapidly.
    I haven't ever seen anything that sounds like you describe. By turn on and off rapidly where are you seeing this behavior? Normally when you turn a computer on there's a bit of a delay as the BIOS is initialized, then the screen comes up to either a logo of POST messages, followed by the juggling balls than a blank screen and finally Windows. If it were turning on and off rapidly I'd expect it'd never get to the logo and there would be no indication that it were going off. Is there a light or sound that leads you to the on/off cycle?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • wenbin1
    Options
    You are right, nothing shows on the monitor. When the GX781 starts normally, the power button (Red circle) will light up and the red arrow (green circle) will light up as well. You will also hear the fan and hard drives running subsequently the standard beep sound.

In my case at the beginning, the power button lights up and the red circle will start to blink. Also, because i also have external USB speakers connected to my computer, it goes boom boom boom every second or so. My speakers creates a boom sound during startup thats how i know that my computer was turning on and off due to the blinking red lights and the speakers. Note that i can hear the fans and hard drive running for just that second but i never made it to the beep sound stage.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The most important thing is to know if your desktop is still in the warranty period! If you are no longer under warranty, you will be testing each hardware individually!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    Options
    OK, it is sounding like the power enable circuit is working (that's why you can hear the drives spin up) but the motherboard is failing before it can get into POST. It crashes and then tries the same thing again. As egydiocoelho suggests if you are still in warranty now is the time to take advantage. If you are out of warranty we'll try and get deeper into diagnostics, but don't get your hopes too high because it's failing awfully early in the process.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BDOMUSA
    BDOMUSA Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Having the same issue. Had the CPU for 1 year. All was good and it just ended perfectly after warranty period. I wonder why. 
  • billsey
    Options
    @BDOMUSA are all your symptoms exactly the same as the original poster? Have you gone through each diagnostic step we tried? If not it'd be better for you to start your own thread and we can start the process specifically for your issue.