Ram upgrade Aspire A517-51G-502S

Frisbie
Frisbie Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi guys,

I recently got my new laptop and now I was looking for a RAM upgrade. 
I stumbled upon something confusing;
The laptop specs say it has 8Gb already out of the box, when I check system settings it gives also 8Gb.
When I run Speccy it says a total of 2 memory slots, of which 1 in use. 1 SPD module; size 4096MBytes.
Running CPU-Z, under the memory tab I get 8GBytes Dual channel. Clicking on the SPD tab there's only slot#1 giving me a module size of 4BGytes, slot#2 is empty.
So I opened up the memory bay at the back and there I can only see 1 memory module (and no empty slot for a second one) and when I search the part number online ACR24D4S7S8MB-4 it turns out its a 4Gb one.
Am I missing something here?
I've put some screenshots below.

Many thanks in advance

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning Frisbie !

This model supports up to 20Gb (4Gb integrated with the motherboard and a single slot available for upgrading up to 16Gb) RAM DDR4 1866/2133 / 2400Mhz SO-DIMM

That is, it has 2 slots being one that is soldered and integrated into the motherboard.
    Only one is available for upgrade.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Frisbie
    Frisbie Member Posts: 2 New User
    Oh ok, I see now.
    So if I add a 16Gb one, will it still be dual channel or only single channel?
    But I guess a total of 20b will surely be faster anyway?
    Thanks already for your help.
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    The principle of dual-channel is that memories work in pairs.
    Even if adding 16Gb will still be dual-channel.
    As for performance, this will depend on usage.
    With the 8 + 8 setting the final transfer rate is more optimized, but the amount of RAM available is limited to applications that require too much.
    Already in the 4 + 19 will have plenty of RAM available, but a slight drop in performance since one of the banks will have a slight delay in downloading more information than the other.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• forphp
    forphp Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi! Is this laptop support 32 Gb memory module?