Acer Swift 3 SF314-51 fingerprint detected in device manager but not working

flitz
flitz Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, my swift 3 fingerprint is not working. Windows detects it, it's still on device manager but it is not reading my fingerprint. Can I still send it to service center even though it's out of warranty? Or any solution that anyone can offer? Tried resetting my pc, tried almost everything, removed my pin, password, registered fingerprints..  tried the fresh start too but to no avail. 

anyone, please? thanks in advance.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,465 Trailblazer
    Have you tried blowing air/cleaning near the sensor area? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• flitz
    I'm always wiping this laptop with micro fiber, so I'm sure it's not the issue. I just re-installed windows clean from latest ISO using bootable drive. Still the same.
  • JackE
    Aye! You might have wiped the hidden ACER-flavored Win10 recovery partition with the Microsoft generic Win10 iso. Please completely shut down your system. Then turn it back on again and immediately press the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the hidden recovery partition is still intact, a recovery screen should appear as in the video below that will allow you to re-set the machine to factory fresh state. If the scanner still doesn't work immediately after the ACER factory version has been reinstalled, then it is a likely hardware issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• flitz
    I've opened it to check what's going on inside, since it's out of warranty. I've cleaned the contacts of fingerprint sensor, the silver part. But the problem still persists. Already tried resetting to factory default, still lthe same. Tried also to install old version of windows, build 10586, still the same. I don't know now what else to do. Maybe it's a hardware issue. Thanks though

• JackE
    Yes, if it still didn't work immediately after a factory reset then it's a likely hardware issue. The part # is NC.22011.002 . Less than $20 from places like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1B4-00E1-000H8  Might be worth a shot.
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• In addition to your colleague's tips, can you tell the idhardware of the fingerprint device to see if any more current drivers solve the problem?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • flitz

here mate. Just re-imaged my laptop and updated the bios. no changes still. 
  • Do you copy and paste here in the community?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • flitz
    Do you copy and paste here in the community?
    What do yo mean? That's the real screenshot of my system. 
  • flitz
    Sorry with my English, not really English speaker. 
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• flitz
    edited April 2019
    still not working, although it says the device is working properly with this driver.
    I think this is already a hardware problem.. but how can I be sure that is the sensor, not the flat wire that is connecting to it or the board?
    I'll try to look for the replacement here in our country. Because If I ordered from newegg, it could take months to reach here.
  • Would you like to test the device on another notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JoannaMacmillan
    JoannaMacmillan Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

Hi, I am following your issue if that is allowed. I have the same issue flitz but I am not really up to opening up the PC etc. I bought it direct from Acer and it was made in May 2020. Hope you get a solution. 
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    And have you used Windows Hello to calibrate the sensor or your finger?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.