Unable to enter password when Windows 10 boots up.

JohnRoss
JohnRoss Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Aspire ATC-705-UC52
WINDOWS 10 64-BIT
INTEL I7 PROCESSOR 4790
1TB Hard Drive
12GB DDR3 Memory

When I turn on my Acer PC Windows 10 boots up to the wallpaper screen where the date and time are showing in the lower left corner and the monitor is showing in the lower right corner.

When I press any key to bring up where I enter the password the screen goes black for a few seconds then the wallpaper screen comes back. I've tried this many times with the same results.

I have tried turning the PC off three times while it's booting up and this did not fix the problem.

I've also tried to get into safe mode while booting up and have not been able to by pressing the shift an F8 key.

I was able to get into automatic repair, then system restore, where a check my disk for errors. Startup repair said unable to repair your PC. I was then able to get into 
Startup settings. I went to #4 Enable Dafe Mode where nothing happened for hours.

Would appreciate any help.

Answers

• JohnRoss
    Startup settings. I went to #4 Enable Safe Mode where nothing happened for hours.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Sounds like there is only one account active on the computer and that account has a corrupted profile. There should be a disabled Administrator account on there as well and you should be able to use those same startup tools to enable that account. Do some quick Googling and you'll find the whole process to go through in order to enable the builtin Administrator account and you should be able to get into Windows itself, where you either create a new account or recover the old one.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JohnRoss
    Went back into automatic repair, advanced options, troubleshoot, advanced options again, where it shows system restore, go back to the previous version, system image recovery, startup repair, command prompt, and UEFI Firmware Settings. Nothing about disabled administrator under any of those?
  • JohnRoss
    Also tried Reset this PC and keep my personal files where it reinstalled windows from the image on the hard drive. After completion I had the same problem unable to access password window when I pressed any key.
  • billsey
    I lean still toward it being a corrupted user profile. You won't be able to login with that bad profile, so need to use a different user. The user 'Administrator' is there, but disabled by default in Windows as a security feature. There are a sequence of commands you can use to enable that account, and once it's enabled you should be able to login using the account.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JohnRoss
    I was unable to find in Google how to get to that function. I would appreciate any assistance on where I can find those instructions.
  • JohnRoss
    billsey said:
    I lean still toward it being a corrupted user profile. You won't be able to login with that bad profile, so need to use a different user. The user 'Administrator' is there, but disabled by default in Windows as a security feature. There are a sequence of commands you can use to enable that account, and once it's enabled you should be able to login using the account.
    Can you please tell me the sequence of commands I can use to enable that account?
  • PC_Confused
    PC_Confused Member Posts: 21 Networker
    JohnRoss - I hope you don't mind my two cents worth, but starting with Windows 10 you can't get into the Safe mode by hitting F8, unless you've gone in and manually set that function up again.  You might Google for how to start Windows 10 in Safe mode and you should find plenty of instructions getting into Safe Mode.  I hope that helps a little.
  • billsey
    This is the first of many pages that showed up with a Google search.
  • JohnRoss
    billsey said:
    This is the first of many pages that showed up with a Google search.
    When I went to that website, followed the instructions for command prompt it took me to X:\windows\system32>net user administrator/active:yes

I typed cd C:\ but was unable to access the C Drive. 
    I also tried CD C:\  with no results.
  • billsey
    You can use diskpart to see what volumes are mounted and which letters are assigned. It's not unusual for the system partition to load with a different letter when booting into the recovery environment.
  • Ivyli
    Ivyli Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

if your user profile is corrupted, you may receive a message like "The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." if so, you can enable the built-in administrator with cmd below to  fix the corrupted user profile. if you cannot access the windows, you should go to safe mode or using an installation disc to access your computer and access command prompt window.
     net user administrator /active: yes