Nitro 5 reboots from wrong drive?

Mozambique
Mozambique Member Posts: 6 New User
My Nitro 5 came with a 1TB HDD. I added a second Samsung EVO 840 SATA SSD drive and cloned windows 10 onto it. Am using the SSD as my primary drive. I changed settings in BIOS so that it reboots from the Samsung SDD by default. Works fine until I restart the laptop and then it tries to reboot from the HDD every time. Windows 10 aint there, so it goes into endless Acer repair loop. I have to go into troubleshooting and change the BIOS boot settings again.

Thoughts?

Answers

• Did you change the startup here?
    Click Set as Default!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Mozambique
    Acer help suggested I reset BIOS. Tried that, same problem. They said that possibly the motherboard battery is dead so changes to boot drive are not being saved.
  • Mozambique
    How does changing to safe start up mode help? Tried that (thanks) - not a fix
  • Sorry for selecting the wrong option! You must select this here:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Mozambique
    But there is only one OS, so it is default anyway (the 'set as default' option is inactive because of this). I wiped the HDD clean so that Windows 10 is only installed on the SSD. The problem is that it does not remember to look for the OS on the SSD when I reboot, but keeps switching back to looking for the OS on the HDD.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Try disabling secure boot to see if that helps.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Mozambique
    The following solution fixed it. No idea why, but it worked:
    1. Boot to BIOS
    2. Set all settings to default and save / exit i.e. will reboot from HDD (which I do not want)
    3. Boot back into BIOS and change boot drive to SSD and save / exit.
  • Great my friend! It was just some misconfiguration in bios, which was solved just by clicking on f9 to restore!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Mozambique
    Thanks for your help!
  • KoshmarAda
    KoshmarAda Member Posts: 1 New User

Thank you so much @Mozambique. I know this is an old thread but my 2020 Nitro 5 was having the same issue and your fix worked.