Acer disgusting attitude towards customers

Options
Thad1
Thad1 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello all
Acer Nitro 5 screen got lines on it, shortly after both hinges broke. Acer agreed to fix under warranty but now their engineer has examined it they say accidental damage which to be honest is absurd. I am so angry with them right now!!!!! 
It's quite obvious it's a flaw as I'm not the only one with this problem!
It seems they think they can refuse warranty claims and just put everything down to accidental damage. My old msi had the same problem but they repaired it with no issues at all. Msi customer service was fantastic, I did not expect a company like Acer to treat their customers like this I am quite frankly shocked by their attitude!
What's the best course of action for a complaint?
Will be going to watchdog anyway and if I can get enough people to make statements probably daily mail as well!!

Answers

• Thad1
    Options
    Hi all
    First post so be gentle!
    My wife's nitro 5 screen developed little lines, the hinge then broke shortly followed by the other hinge. Emailed customer service about the issues and they agreed to a warranty repair. Got a call today saying it's 'accidental damage. Clearly this is a way for them to avoid fixing it for free, having checked the forum it appears to happen on a regular basis as there are hundreds of posts about hinges breaking etc.
    I have to say the person who called me was from accounts and quite frankly rude! 
    I am disgusted the way they are treating me, who is the best person to get in contact with?
    If it's not resolved I think all the people who have had repairs refused under warranty should get together and do something about it!!
    Thanks
    Thad
  • Thad1
    Options
    As above who is best to complain to about Acer refusing s repair due to 'accidental damage?
    Thankd
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Hello! What is the exact model of your notebook? Example an515-51-75kz! Also, there are not a lot of reports of a problem with the hinges on the nitro 5 model! If Acer fixed the notebook, why are you implying that the problem is a flaw in the design? Also, how did you confirm that this flaw is a defect in notebook design? Unfortunately, any electronic device is subject to some sort of problem!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Thad1
    Options
    They agreed to fix it but then refused today. It's still under warranty. There are hundreds of reports of Acer Nitro 5 laptop hinges breaking all over the forums! 
    It was only 8 months old when it happened as well. LCD had lines along the top after a few months but I thought I would live with it until the hinge broke. They do not honour there warranty that's my main gripe. I'm not the only person either!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you send some photo?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Options
    Thad1 said:
    As above who is best to complain to about Acer refusing s repair due to 'accidental damage?
    Thankd
    i think it would be good to contact your local acer support supervisor.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Short of turning this warranty claim into a legal matter there is not much recourse as you've already been through the proper channels at Acer. The laptop was sent in and reviewed. A diagnosis was made and you were informed. From Acer's standpoint I imagine the matter is closed. 'Accidental damage' is somewhat of an umbrella term that is defined and specified within the terms of the warranty. I would suggest you review the warranty in detail before attempting to dispute a claim. 
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    Hi Thad1,

What country are you contacting us from?

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into hinge issues with your Nitro 5. I can certainly understand the frustration, however, I can assure you that a far larger portion of Acer laptops do not have this issue and the Nitro 5 has no alert/notification about this been a manufacture issues or any reports. A lot of research, time and development go into the area around the hinges to minimize issues, but hinges have been giving users problems specially on clam-shell notebooks for as long as they've been built, and that's not just related to Acer, a quick google search replacing Acer for another manufacture, is sure to produce the same results.

Unfortunately, the hinge is the weak point in a folding process that also has to be a hollow enough to allow for wires to pass through and not krinkle them. They take all the stress created when opening the device, but it also has to be capable of moving to allow anyone (think children) to open it. I know we've continued to make improvements and modifications to the way hinges work.

Do you have pictures?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny