helios 300 17 inch fan noise

slipperynick
slipperynick Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hey there,

when I plug my lg 4k tv into the helios the fan(i assume gpu) picks up considerably. Is this considered normal behavior? it is the increased resolution alone putting so much tax on the laptop? its not like this at all if its just the laptop display.

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Yes.

Unless I'm mistaken, your laptop's standard resolution is 1920x1080. The scale up to 4K resolution is a considerable increase in pixels and rendering for the GPU as you've anticipated. You can apply a better thermal paste to the GPU (and CPU) for somewhat better temperatures if you are willing to disassemble the laptop a bit.
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night slipperynick !

It is perfectly normal for notebook fans and coolers to increase spin to the maximum when high performance is required to properly cool the system.

Then a high-rotation sound, even if flashing is perfectly normal.

What can not occur are sounds of flapping or scratching fins or loud sound, like cars of formula one.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• slipperynick
    slipperynick Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited April 2019
    The fan noise also happens when its at 1080 so I'm not convinced its the 4k resolution. As far as I can tell its because the apps are running on the nvidia gpu when connected to the hdmi. When its not they default to the internal gpu or there is some balance. its quite annoying to have the fan blasting on and off while just watching a video. watching the task manager the "desktop window manager" is running on the nvidia gpu. Is there any way to force it back onto the internal gpu? its not very high on usage but just switching a window makes it spike to 20 percent or so usage. This doesn't happen when using the laptop display
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning !

Then, as I told you, there is no abnormality in your report.
    Only the standard rotation of the cooler for cooling.
    There are ways to set the integrated board, but in addition to losing performance the coolers will continue to work in high rotation since they not only cool the video card but also the processor.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!