How do I make my Power button shut down my laptop?

Options
Destroya1221
Destroya1221 Member Posts: 43 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited April 23 in 2019 Archives
I have a Helios 300 PH317-51 with a perfectly working power button. It turns the laptop on just fine, but I can't use it to turn it off. I like setting my power button to shut down the laptop if it's on instead of putting it in sleep mode. I did that with my previous laptop, and I want to do it with my Helios 300 as well, but I can't. I changed that option in the control plan. I made it so that whenever I press the power button when the laptop is on, it shuts it down (supposedly) as illustrated in this photo

The problem now is that when I press it, it doesn't work. It literally does nothing. And when I tried setting it back to 'Sleep' instead of 'Shut down,' it still didn't work. However, I found a small app pre-installed on my system called Acer power button. It's basically a UI giving me one of 4 options, turn off the display, sleep, hibernate, or shut down. According to my baseless hypothesis, the way it's supposed to work is that it should pop up whenever I press the power button (I think) but it doesn't for some reason. In short, I want to set my power button to turn off my laptop directly when pressed, but I can't. So, what should I do to fix this problem? Thanks!

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    @Destroya1221 This is not a forced shutdown as the colleague @sri369 said! I have the model an515-51, which uses the same motherboard and the same bios as the ph317-51 and for the power button to activate the normal shutdown function, I must also press for about three seconds! Acer has adopted this measure, because the power button is next to the numeric keypad and to prevent the user from unintentionally turning off the notebook!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    On these notebooks, for the sake of security, you must press the power button for three seconds for the shutdown function to work! See that the power button is next to the number buttons, and if the button works immediately after the tightening, you could lose some work or something! I hope you understand what I say, because my English is bad!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I have a Helios 300 PH317-51 with a perfectly working power button. It turns the laptop on just fine, but I can't use it to turn it off. I like setting my power button to shut down the laptop if it's on instead of putting it in sleep mode. I did that with my previous laptop, and I want to do it with my Helios 300 as well, but I can't. I changed that option in the control plan. I made it so that whenever I press the power button when the laptop is on, it shuts it down (supposedly) as illustrated in this photo

The problem now is that when I press it, it doesn't work. It literally does nothing. And when I tried setting it back to 'Sleep' instead of 'Shut down,' it still didn't work. However, I found a small app pre-installed on my system called Acer power button. It's basically a UI giving me one of 4 options, turn off the display, sleep, hibernate, or shut down. According to my baseless hypothesis, the way it's supposed to work is that it should pop up whenever I press the power button (I think) but it doesn't for some reason. In short, I want to set my power button to turn off my laptop directly when pressed, but I can't. So, what should I do to fix this problem? Thanks!
    Your hypothesis is not baseless - acer's this program overrides the power button functionality. Either uninstall the program to manage it yourself, or use the acer program to get your desired effect.
    If i recall right, acer's power button program should have an option to mark an option as default.

@egydiocoelho 's method is for hard shut down - holding power button for 3 seconds.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    On these current notebook models, you need to press the power button for about three seconds, so that the notebook is turned off properly! Take the test and verify that your notebook will not be turned off improperly, as colleague @sri369 said in "method is for hard shut down"!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Destroya1221
    Options
    "method is for hard shut down"!

I don't wanna use it that way if it's a hard shutdown. I'd prefer a normal shut down instead so that it wouldn't harm my pc
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    @Destroya1221 This is not a forced shutdown as the colleague @sri369 said! I have the model an515-51, which uses the same motherboard and the same bios as the ph317-51 and for the power button to activate the normal shutdown function, I must also press for about three seconds! Acer has adopted this measure, because the power button is next to the numeric keypad and to prevent the user from unintentionally turning off the notebook!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Destroya1221
    Options
    Yeah I understand now. Thanks for your help! Thanks @sri369 as well!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you taken the test? The notebook will shut down properly if you press the power button for three seconds!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer