Does the Acer Aspire TC 860's M.2 SSD Slot Support M.2 SATA SSD, M.2 NVMe SSD, or both?

jianchann
jianchann Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I'm considering to purchase the Acer Aspire TC 860 here in the Philippines. It features relatively good specs, but noticed that it doesn't come with an SSD. After seeing that it has an expansion slot for M.2 SSD, I thought that installing an SSD from which I would install my OS would be a good option. However, I have no way of telling if this M.2 SSD slot fits M.2 SATA SSD, M.2 NVMe SSD, or both? Hoping that people from Acer or the community can help me out.

I tried going through the user manual from here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/PH/content/support-product/7735?b=1. But it doesn't say anything about the M.2 SSD slot or even the motherboard in general for me to deduce. Thanks!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    edited April 2019
    Some but not all mainboards support both depending on the region. If the m.2 card connector slot on the mainboard has two keys (B+M), then only an m.2 SATA will fit. If it has only one key(usually B ), then both will fit but mainboard may still limit nvme speeds to SATA3 speeds. Thus, your safest choice is an m.2 SATA card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Colleague JackE is correct, see:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jianchann
    Thanks for the responses!

@egydiocoelho , may I know where you found that? :) Assuming that's for the TC 860, then is it right for me to assume that I should get M.2 SATA SSD since NVMe PCIe won't be supported?

Weird though, since I also found this (see below), which says that the slot is for PCIe SSD, which I'm assuming is NVMe.

• Can you post this link?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    >>>Weird though, since I also found this (see below), which says that the slot is for PCIe SSD, which I'm assuming is NVMe.>>>

Not weird. Remember, it might be regionally dependent. And the definition of "UP TO" can also refer to SATA3 UP TO PCIe speeds, not just UP TO 512GB capacity. In other words, UP TO doesn't always mean this is exactly what you'll actually get. Could be vendor advertising hype.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jianchann
    Sorry, I can't provide a link, since I got it from a local retailer I tried asking earlier this week. I'm not sure where they got it from though. Perhaps it's incorrect?
  • The models tc-860 and xc-860 have the same motherboard @JackE?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    I think yes egydiocoelho but two different mainboards seem to be used in both. They share almost all the same drivers with two BIOS versions. Again I think jianchann  should safely assume m.2 SATA speeds only and then feel lucky if the machine that's received actiually supports pcie speeds   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jianchann
    @JackE alright thanks. In that case, would you think it's safe for me to purchase an M.2 SATA SSD before I receive the machine. The reason I'm asking is because this would be on sale. Thanks!
  • JackE
    Yes, safe to get m.2 SATA before you get the machine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    It's worth noting that all M.2 devices are PCIe, NVMe and SATA are just on top of the base PCIe spec.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.