acer nitro 5 an515-42-r8hn ssd upgrade and 100% disk usage

kaizokuo
kaizokuo Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi I would like to ask if this ssd is compatible to my acer nitro 5 an515-42-r8hn.
ssd model: XPG SX6000 Pro PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 Solid State Drive

Also i've been having troubles with the 100% disk usage.
I have asked the technician on where i bought my nitro 5 and followed the guide he sent me.
It helped only by a little bit.
It used to reach 100% disk usage even on idle and the boot up is really slow aswell.
When i optimized my nitro 5 based on the guide he sent me it rarely reach 100% on idle anymore but still when i open an app even only one app the disk usage skyrockets to 100% right away and it stays that way until i close all opened apps.
Also the boot i still slow.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>i'm pretty sure I've already uninstalled>>>
    Open Task Manager and see what's running in the background so you're sure. Or open Control Panel programs list and see if an anti-virus is still installed.

The m.2 card you mentioned should work but I would not pay extra for it as an nvme drive. Your safest choice would be a garden variety m.2 SATA3 card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    edited April 2019
    The m.2 should work OK but you might be limited to two lane PCIe support which translates to half full speed capability of the card. Download speccy or hwinfo freeware to see if you have two or four lane support. Four lane support is still considered bleeding edge stuff so keep it in mind unless your a guru who can force things that don't wanna work to work. :)

As for the disk usage, you probably have a non-Microsoft antivirus or antimalware program running in the background and/or installed that is gumming things up, like AVG, Norton, McAfee etc. Don't just disable it, uninstall and get rid of it from Control Panel. All you need nowadays is Microsoft defender and Malicious software removal tool.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kaizokuo
    JackE said:
    The m.2 should work OK but you might be limited to two lane PCIe support which translates to half full speed capability of the card. Download speccy or hwinfo freeware to see if you have two or four lane support. Four lane support is still considered bleeding edge stuff so keep it in mind unless your a guru who can force things that don't wanna work to work. :)

As for the disk usage, you probably have a non-Microsoft antivirus or antimalware program running in the background and/or installed that is gumming things up, like AVG, Norton, McAfee etc. Don't just disable it, uninstall and get rid of it from Control Panel. All you need nowadays is Microsoft defender and Malicious software removal tool.

Jack E/NJ

Sorry just got to open up again now. About the m.2 any recommendations instead? I'm not really good with messin with my stuff.
    About the 100% disk usage i'm pretty sure I've already uninstalled the third party anti malware/virus that was installed im my laptop when it was delivered to me. Still it boots so slow and eats up 100% disk usage most of the time. Any fixes for this please help me.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Open Task Manager and see what's running in the background so you're sure. Or open Control Panel programs list and see if an anti-virus is still installed.

The m.2 card you mentioned should work but I would not pay extra for it as an nvme drive. Your safest choice would be a garden variety m.2 SATA3 card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kaizokuo
    edited April 2019
    JackE said:

Thank you for the recommendation on the m.2 card.
    About the antivirus thingy i'm pretty sure I've uninstalled it via control panel so im sure I only have windows defender.
    About the 100% disc usage problem I figured out the it was the windows updates that was eating up my disk usage so I just let it update all night.
    After the update performance improved a lot.
    Boot did speed up a lil bit and disk usage improved doesn't stay on 100% anymore :D

Thank you so much :D
  • kaizokuo
    btw I have a question how do I see or check whether my laptop has 2 lane or 4 lane pcie