Right Hinge of my Acer Aspire Laptop broken off

esha_454
esha_454 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I have never dropped or hit my laptop on anything, but when I opened my laptop, the right hinge just broke. Now I can't close my laptop and the plastic around the screen is lifting and gapping, so I can see the internal components of the laptop.  It is so unfortunate that I bought my laptop that was over $700 about a year ago, and the hinge already broke off! I am genuinely upset because I went to a local tech repair shop and the technician said that this seems like planned obsolescence. It seems like many people are having the same issue as myself with the laptop. My cousin has the exact same laptop and about two years after he bought it, his hinge also broke. 

What upsets me the most is the fact that Acer seems to take advantage of their consumers with planned obsolescence and cannot take responsibility for this defect. It is certain that I will not be purchasing an Acer device again!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    Sorry, use color-coordinated duct tape or JBWeld epoxy to repair the break and prevent further  damage. The plastic enclosed hinges and video ribbon cables running thru them are subject to incredible stresses and early fatigue if the lid is constantly opened & closed throughout the day. Ruggedized metal case models can better withstand lid use like this --- at a price.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ