Can I connect 60hz laptop monitor to 120hz/144hz external monitor?

Alpha2909
Alpha2909 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 16 in 2019 Archives
I just bought a Predator Helios 300 (G3-571) with i7 7700HQ - GTX 1060 6GB - 6GB RAM and a 60hz display, my laptop also have HDMI 2.0 output. I wonder if I can connect my laptop to a external monitor with higher refresh rate like 120hz/144hz and get that higher refresh rate? And if my HDMI 2.0 output not support higher refresh rate on external monitor, can I use HDMI to Displayport Converter (like this: https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-DisplayPort-Converter-Compliant-Dual-Mode/dp/B01BXMOREI/?tag=georiot-us-default-20&ascsubtag=tomshardware-1454644570651687610-20#customerReviews) to connect to external monitor and get that higher refresh rate? Thanks in advance!
My laptop: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-7700HQ-1060-6GB-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9C

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    You will be able to output 144Hz through hdmi if the monitor supports it. An HDMI to DP adapter will work, just make sure that it supports the resolution and refresh rate that you need.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    You will be able to output 144Hz through hdmi if the monitor supports it. An HDMI to DP adapter will work, just make sure that it supports the resolution and refresh rate that you need.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Alpha2909
    Alpha2909 Member Posts: 2 New User
    ven98 said:
    Thank you very much for your help!