Acer nitro 5, i5 8300h high temperature problem

Mr_Meshman
Mr_Meshman Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi guys, so last week I bought acer nitro 5 and I have big problems with overheating
Nitro AN515-52-56ZD (NH.Q3XEX.011) - i5 8300h, gtx 1060 6gb
it is about 45-50 C in normal use but when I start gaming it is constantly 90-100 C, and that is problem because when it hits 95+ my game starts lagging for few secondds until it goes back to 85-90 where it does not lagg.
I have cooling pad under laptop and I tried some solutions like turning off intel turbo boost or just keeping cpu fan at 100% all time but still same result very high temps.
Do anyone has some other solution that I can try or it could be factory mistake?
Should I try to repaste cpu heatsink and Will it void warranty if I do it myself(I live in Croatia)?
Any help is appreciated.

sry for my bad english but I hope u will understand. but I hope u will understand.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, return it to the store as defective ASAP for a refund or exchange before the store's RMA returns policy time limit expires. Because ACER warranty service would take longer to resolve. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Try setting Control Panel 'choose power plan' app to balanced mode to see if gaming is acceptable. If not, do not try to re-paste yourself. Instead, return it to the vendor as defective for an exchange or refund ASAP before the vendor's RMA return policy expires. ACER warranty repair service will take longer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Meshman
    JackE said:
    Try setting Control Panel 'choose power plan' app to balanced mode to see if gaming is acceptable. If not, do not try to re-paste yourself. Instead, return it to the vendor as defective for an exchange or refund ASAP before the vendor's RMA return policy expires. ACER warranty repair service will take longer. Jack E/NJ
    Performance is great in balanced and in high performance mode, when temp is under 93-4 C but when it reaches that temp then it start to lag...
    If I return it for exchange I lose 10% of price I paid and that is not small money :/
  • JackE
    Does it still reach 94*C temperature in balanced mode under heavy gaming load? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Meshman
    JackE said:
    Does it still reach 94*C temperature in balanced mode under heavy gaming load? Jack E/NJ
    High settings bf1, intel boost is ON
  • JackE
    >>>If I return it for exchange I lose 10% of price I paid and that is not small money>>>

No. You are returning it to the vendor as a defective system for an exchange of a non-defective system or a refund. CPU should not reach 96*C in balanced mode for a new system unless it is defective.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chromey
    chromey Member Posts: 39 Devotee WiFi Icon
    JackE said:
    Still hits 3.9ghz/full boost clocks in both high performance & balanced modes, balanced power setting really only affects only day to day usage, dropping clockspeeds when they are not needed.

If you want to drop the temperature without losing any performance, download Intel XTU & give it a -0.15v undervolt offset & that should bring the temps down by quite big margin.

+ The cooler itself has a design flaw, which makes 2 of the 4 cores always run 5-10c hotter than the other 2.
  • Mr_Meshman
    chromey said:
    JackE said:
    Still hits 3.9ghz/full boost clocks in both high performance & balanced modes, balanced power setting really only affects only day to day usage, dropping clockspeeds when they are not needed.

If you want to drop the temperature without losing any performance, download Intel XTU & give it a -0.15v undervolt offset & that should bring the temps down by quite big margin.

+ The cooler itself has a design flaw, which makes 2 of the 4 cores always run 5-10c hotter than the other 2.
    I tried XTU and tested it at different offets (-0.12 -- -0.15 ) and temperature comes down maybe about 2-3° but it is still critical because it knows to jump to 95-6 and after that temp is reached it drops fps ... I think I Will contact the store where 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Yes, return it to the store as defective ASAP for a refund or exchange before the store's RMA returns policy time limit expires. Because ACER warranty service would take longer to resolve. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Meshman
    JackE said:
    It is easy to say.. It is shop which has only 1 place in country and it is 120km from my place and return time is expiring exactly in week from today.
  • JackE
    Sorry. It's either make the round trip if the vendor agrees to an exchange or refund beforehand, or arrange for ACER warranty service. I don't see much more you can do without voiding the warranty by trying to re-paste the heatsink. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Speedster_ELuu39
    Speedster_ELuu39 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

What I did was restrict the processor power in the advanced power settings. Since I know it's normal for the laptop to get hot when gaming, I didn't restrict it as much when plugged in, but you're gonna want to lessen the speed even more on battery power if you don't want the fans to constantly crank up. I have also put the laptop in the freezer a couple of times for a couple of minutes but it's only a temporary solution.
  • BrownFart
    BrownFart Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2019
    We have the same specs but mine runs in i7-8750h... I just undervolted my CPU and GPU and whoala, 5-8 hours of gaming without thermal throttling using ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner.
  • Mr_Meshman
    BrownFart said:
    We have the same specs but mine runs in i7-8750h... I just undervolted my CPU and GPU and whoala, 5-8 hours of gaming without thermal throttling using ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner.
    Can you screenshoot me what settings did you use in ThrottleStop?
  • Mr_Meshman
    JackE said:
    I returned it and today it came back from sevice. They changed thermal paste and cpu vent and now it works fine.
  • JackE
    The store's service or ACER's? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Comrade_Brad
    Comrade_Brad Member Posts: 46 Devotee WiFi Icon
    When in balanced mode, you need to bring the slider down to the middle until it says 'Better Battery'. Click on the battery icon in taskbar when the laptop is plugged in. You also need to reduce the Maximum Processor State to 99% (that's how turbo boost gets disabled). 
  • Comrade_Brad
    Comrade_Brad Member Posts: 46 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Hi guys, so last week I bought acer nitro 5 and I have big problems with overheating
    Nitro AN515-52-56ZD (NH.Q3XEX.011) - i5 8300h, gtx 1060 6gb
    it is about 45-50 C in normal use but when I start gaming it is constantly 90-100 C, and that is problem because when it hits 95+ my game starts lagging for few secondds until it goes back to 85-90 where it does not lagg.
    I have cooling pad under laptop and I tried some solutions like turning off intel turbo boost or just keeping cpu fan at 100% all time but still same result very high temps.
    Do anyone has some other solution that I can try or it could be factory mistake?
    Should I try to repaste cpu heatsink and Will it void warranty if I do it myself(I live in Croatia)?
    Any help is appreciated.

sry for my bad english but I hope u will understand. but I hope u will understand.
    I'm also having the exact same problem but I'm running all my games under balanced mode with a slight hit in performance. I'm thinking about repasting on my own even though the laptop is under warranty. How is the repaste working out for you? Can you share a screenshot?