Acer Predator Triton 500(Predator PT515-51) with 2080RTX - nvidia driver problems

Aleksandartg
Aleksandartg Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi everyone,

I bought this amazing small beast 2 weeks ago and since then I have been having some issues when updating Nvidia drivers. When i first got it, it came with a pre-installed driver that was working just fine, but I thought that i would install a newer version yesterday from geforce experience and i have been experiencing issues ever since. While playing cs go, i got an error which got me our of the game,(had to do with some vector error) and i could not get it back on after.(the process itself is running but does not open up) After a restart, my Nvidia control panel was gone and under device manager my Nvidia card was recognized as microsoft display adapter, but lets get to the point: 

The main problem is I cannot install the uploaded official VGA drivers on the acer website. The issue I have with them is when i unzip the file, start the setup(I noticed the driver itself does not come in a single application package as opposed to the drivers you download from the Nvidia website), the verification of system requirements takes like milliseconds to complete and when I go to custom install it does not detect any components to install(neither graphics driver, 3d vision driver, Physx, etc), which apparently means nothing happens when I do a clean/express install - it finishes in seconds and the nvidia control panel is still missing, as well as the display adapter in device manager still shows Microsoft Display adapter instead of showing the Nvidia GPU. 

I managed to install a previous but still pretty recent version of Nvidia driver from the Nvidia website, and the GPU is now detected, but it does not detect Gsync and is missing the options I had when I first got the laptop in Nvidia control panel. 
Any thoughts on how to install the official Nvidia driver from the official acer support website? Has anyone had a similar problem. All I am trying to do is get the official Nvidia drivers from the acer support webpage to work, since I believe they are custom for my laptop, without having to reset windows. 

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance! 

Answers

• JohnCena
    JohnCena Member Posts: 460 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited March 2019
    Can you install another drivers or does it give an error? And you are lucky because you have rtx 2080. I will help you to solve it.
  • JohnCena
    Can you find the logs in %temp% or where the setup logs are in?
  • Aleksandartg

Tinkerer

JohnCena said:
    Can you install another drivers or does it give an error? And you are lucky because you have rtx 2080. I will help you to solve it.
    I am able to install drivers either downloaded from nvidia after complete uninstall of any Nvidia components(all the folders and registries related to Nvidia) and through GeForce Experience, but since they are not the official ones(the ones on the Acer support page) - they tend to create issues like the one from last night when my gpu was not detected all of a sudden. On top of this they do not detect my monitor as G-sync compatible. 

All i am trying to do is get the official VGA drivers up and running, but they do not work for some reason. Any suggestions? 
  • Have you installed or updated the Intel video driver? This driver may be interfering with the installation of the nvidia driver!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Aleksandartg

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    Have you installed or updated the Intel video driver? This driver may be interfering with the installation of the nvidia driver!
    Yes, I have the latest Intel video driver installed.
    JohnCena said:
    I checked the event log of windows for any errors and i could not find any related to Nvidia. Which ones do you mean in particular? What i notice is that the acer official VGA drivers are in zip format and when they are unzipped there are lots of different folders but only one setup file. Please check screenshot for reference. Please see attached screenshots for the difference in the two setups: the acer official and the nvidia ones.

• JohnCena
    Have you installed or updated the Intel video driver? This driver may be interfering with the installation of the nvidia driver!
    Yes, I have the latest Intel video driver installed.
    JohnCena said:
    I checked the event log of windows for any errors and i could not find any related to Nvidia. Which ones do you mean in particular? What i notice is that the acer official VGA drivers are in zip format and when they are unzipped there are lots of different folders but only one setup file. Please check screenshot for reference. Please see attached screenshots for the difference in the two setups: the acer official and the nvidia ones.

Wow thats so interesting but driver self-destroyed it so logs are gone too. Can you install the unoffical driver?
  • JohnCena
    edited March 2019
    In this folder(acer's) open the displaydriver folder and run the setup in it. (I am not in front of my pc so I dont know there is a setup or not) If there is not setup can you send a screenshot of folder content?
  • JohnCena
    I use unoffical driver on my notebook and nothing happens
  • JohnCena
    If you can setup the unofficial do it with ticking the box clean install. And delete unofficial and setup the official
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    As it was said the acer official drivers are alwasy the best ones as they are customized specifically for the hardware in question so my best bet install the stock driver and if u dont have issues dont update anything as all the updates they dont mean it will be better

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Aleksandartg

Tinkerer

So last night while I was playing cs go the game froze and the Nvidia control panel was gone again and also got the VIDEO DXGKRNL fatal error when I restarted(blue screen), so I decided to do a complete reset of Windows.

I could not get the official driver to work until I reset my windows completely(with formatting the windows drive). Now it is up and running, however in the Bios mode I've chosen to run the external gpu only. Before that I was on the hybrid mode, I would really like to switch back to that, so I have a better battery life, however, I am not sure if this is not what is causing the issues. Right now I am running the official driver I believe, as I have all the available options(setting up g-sync and etc.) which were missing before. So far it seems good. I will have to install some games again to see how the freshly installed setup will handle them.
    Thanks everyone for the help, if other issues come up, I will let you know.

• What is the bios version of your notebook?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Aleksandartg

Tinkerer

What is the bios version of your notebook?
    the most recent one - v1.05
  • JohnCena
    I dont think cs go is causing it there must be a hardware failure. I was saying to you reset windows when asking for another drivers. Propably your registry was corrupted. And I want to ask one thing: Is offical drivers are best? I am using unoffical and nothing bad happens. If I use official I can not use Nvidia ansel or sth new. I *recommend* all the people reading this now: If you will buy rtx laptop dont do it now. They are not stable like this. A desktop PC will better I think.
  • Aleksandartg

Tinkerer

JohnCena said:
    I dont think cs go is causing it there must be a hardware failure. I was saying to you reset windows when asking for another drivers. Propably your registry was corrupted. And I want to ask one thing: Is offical drivers are best? I am using unoffical and nothing bad happens. If I use official I can not use Nvidia ansel or sth new. I *recommend* all the people reading this now: If you will buy rtx laptop dont do it now. They are not stable like this. A desktop PC will better I think.
    Probably this is what happened, yes. Well, I would always use the official drivers, as they are set up exclusively for the model notebook you have. I would guess if it is a flagship predator model like mine, they would have done some extra adjustments to make sure you get the most of you high-end notebook. And as you mentioned - drivers for rtx cards are yet to be improved, so I hope I won't have any problems now that I managed to get everything up and running. 
  • JohnCena
    JohnCena said:
    Probably this is what happened, yes. Well, I would always use the official drivers, as they are set up exclusively for the model notebook you have. I would guess if it is a flagship predator model like mine, they would have done some extra adjustments to make sure you get the most of you high-end notebook. And as you mentioned - drivers for rtx cards are yet to be improved, so I hope I won't have any problems now that I managed to get everything up and running. 
    Yes all brands not giving update if it is not flagship. I think stupidest thing I have ever done in my gaming life is buying a laptop. It is not unlocked the worst thing. If you have a desktop PC you can upgrade your CPU, GPU or other hardware components. You can install all drivers and you dont need to wait for your brand to release new drivers. But I hope you won't say "I should get a desktop PC" . I am writing this for who will buy a PC in future. And laptops have the worst screens. If it got a damage there can some lines appear or some black screen... If you aren't a businessman or you dont need to carry your PC with you laptops are for you. But if you dont need this and if you are interested in hardware buy a desktop PC. 
  • Aleksandartg

Tinkerer

JohnCena said:
    JohnCena said:
    Yes all brands not giving update if it is not flagship. I think stupidest thing I have ever done in my gaming life is buying a laptop. It is not unlocked the worst thing. If you have a desktop PC you can upgrade your CPU, GPU or other hardware components. You can install all drivers and you dont need to wait for your brand to release new drivers. But I hope you won't say "I should get a desktop PC" . I am writing this for who will buy a PC in future. And laptops have the worst screens. If it got a damage there can some lines appear or some black screen... If you aren't a businessman or you dont need to carry your PC with you laptops are for you. But if you dont need this and if you are interested in hardware buy a desktop PC. 
    Well, in my case I am going to use this laptop for 3DS max and rendering visualizations of interior. I know desktops are better in general but I can't bring my desktop to a meeting with a client I need to show the visualization. Plus the opportunity to run around with a portable pc with high end specs is gone with desktops. I believe you should have both, but I decided to go with portability at this point. 
  • JohnCena
    Yes I think you should have both.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    To the OP:

I think this is likely to be a hardware failure. To confirm this go in device manager and check if you have error 43 on RTX2080 under display adapters. If that is the case, contact Acer or return the laptop if within the return period.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Fireplug
    Fireplug Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited March 2019
    Posting this just to let you know someone else had a problem installing the driver at the Acer website. When I got the laptop one of things I did was upgrade to latest Nvidia driver.  I had a crash during a VR game in which computer would not restart until I held down power key for ages.  Checking event logs I had a crash related to the graphics driver. So I also tried to go back to the original driver as you did.  I had same issue where it uninstalled my latest driver but then would not install the old one nor would it even recognize gpu was there to be able to install.  So I just reinstalled the latest Nvidia one and am crossing my fingers it was just a one time crash (so far so good.)