NVMe support on Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R5ED not present? Why, since it is for the Intel models?

Options

Answers

• baboonator
    baboonator Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    This model does not accept nvme!
    there are billion types different nonNVME m2 sata3 SSD''s, not only these 4 models...
    if i bought for expample Adata su800 256gb m.2 2280 SATA ssd WILL IT WORK ON THIS laptop??? or not?
    now im scare to buy any m2 sata ssd((( 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    SATA 3 models should work. However, the service manual does not mention compatibility with the NVME. In addition, other users tried to install nvme and could not!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • baboonator

Tinkerer

Options
    SATA 3 models should work. However, the service manual does not mention compatibility with the NVME. In addition, other users tried to install nvme and could not!
    im talking about m2 sata NOT NVME~~~!!!!!!!
    this guy whose i queted wrote about not supported m2 sata, read previous posts
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    In fact, when he said this:
    Zemez said:
    So i just found out that that there are only a few SATA SSD's that are supported in the m.2 slot for the AMD models:

KN.2560G.022 
    KN.25604.039 
    KN.12807.024 
    KN.1280G.003 

So all the other drives are White Listed in the bios. So looks like the only fix is to mod the bios. Thanks Acer for making thing incompatible!! :'(
    He just quoted the models that were tested by Acer, see:

However, this does not mean that this model does not accept other models of ssds m2! Check here, that another user was able to successfully install an ssd m2 sata that is not in the list: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/623332/#Comment_623332
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • baboonator

Tinkerer

Options
    In fact, when he said this:
    Zemez said:
    So i just found out that that there are only a few SATA SSD's that are supported in the m.2 slot for the AMD models:

KN.2560G.022 
    KN.25604.039 
    KN.12807.024 
    KN.1280G.003 

So all the other drives are White Listed in the bios. So looks like the only fix is to mod the bios. Thanks Acer for making thing incompatible!! :'(
    He just quoted the models that were tested by Acer, see:

However, this does not mean that this model does not accept other models of ssds m2! Check here, that another user was able to successfully install an ssd m2 sata that is not in the list: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/623332/#Comment_623332
    aaaa okay, now understood)
    but how i can know will my choosen ssd m2 sata works with nitroruzen or not? 
    give please link to this acer ssd list
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I do not think there are any incompatibilities with the SATA 3 models! What is the exact model of ssd you intend to acquire?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• baboonator

Tinkerer

Options
    I do not think there are any incompatibilities with the SATA 3 models! What is the exact model of ssd you intend to acquire?
    Adata su800 256gb m.2 2280 SATA?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It will probably work yes!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• baboonator

Tinkerer

Options
    It will probably work yes!
    yeaaaa... "probably" and "yes" is differnet things(((
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It will work yes! However, I would opt for samsung models!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zemez
    Zemez Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hello to all,

So I have been traveling for work and not on for a minute. I have been able to install a Samsung 860 Evo SATA m.2 SSD. It took me about 5 times of re-seating the drive for it to appear in bios to get it to work. It has been working fine for the time being with no issues to report. However for this being a new laptop and not support NVME M.2 Drives is unacceptable from Acer. Soon you won't be able to buy any Drives that are only SATA SSD, They are all transitioning to NVME standard. It all comes down to the Bios needing to be able to release that functionality, but Acer has seen fit to only put forth no effort or forethought into the upgrade ability and tweaking that you can due with an AMD Ryzen chipset as these systems can be overclocked and fined tuned for much better performance if they would give us a bios with more control on this "gaming" laptop.

Every time that I see these old Insyde bios on laptops it makes me think that the system is from the early 2000's when we first started seeing it. I mean nothing has changed with the Insyde Bios Software since that era. look at other "gaming"laptops and you see multiple ways to configure and tweek your bios settings for performance and Stability. to be honest if I had known that this "gaming" Laptop was this crude and bios locked then I would have not bought it. So how I look at this situation is that Acer did not take the time or effort in the design and testing of this chipset and system and as such the end users have to suffer through a computer that could have been better than what Acer delivered.

On another note I have found that traveling with this laptop can be a pain with the Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter not always connecting or even downright refusing to connect to some WiFi places in hotels, airports and other public WiFi. It is frustrating and from what I have found through some research is that it has to do with the drivers for it from Qaulcomm and Microsoft being really buggy, so I am going to be putting in an Intel WiFi adapter to replace it as the Qualcomm adapter is to unreliable. 

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Zemez Please, read more about bios firmware and uefi firmware, see:
    Although the uefi firmware has the same graphic interface as the bios firmware, they are totally different and have several security enhancements and compatibility with new hardware!
    On the QCA61x4A board, have you tried updating the drivers?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zemez
    Options
    egydiocoelho,

You are correct about the BIOS interface and UEFI, however the problem still stands that Acer could have put forth more effort in user control of the system on this level, as this is a "gaming" laptop. If you look at the Intel models BIOS control you can see that they have more flexibility and options that are not locked out. Acer just did not want to spend more time and effort on the development of the AMD Ryzen R&D as noted by many users that have purchased this model. I have an old Acer aspire intel from 14 years ago that has more  BIOS capability than this laptop does, just to  put things into perspective.

As for the Qualcomm adapter the issue is with the new and old drivers from both Qualcomm and Microsoft's drivers on Windows 10. The failure to connect and dropped connection issues are just unfortunately all to do with Windows 10 being a buggy, and unstable OS. This laptop doesn't let you install Linux on it because you can't change settings you need in the BIOS as well. Again no flexibility and forward thinking from Acer on this as well. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you checked that the problem occurs in version 1903 of windows 10?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zemez
    Options
    Yes it does, it also happened in both the 1803 and 1809, though not as frequently. I travel a lot for work so I connect to a variety and plethora of networks and have found that there is no pattern to it and resetting the computer or just the network adapter does no good. It is a very troublesome problem and I am not the only one who has noticed it with this adapter, it is  seen on different devices with this same Qualcomm adapter installed in them ranging from Lenovo to the Surface Pro's. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does this problem occur in the 5ghz band? I already situations with a network card qca9377, in which the users could not connect there is a band of 5ghz! In this case, the problem was solved by putting the channel at 36 and the bandwidth in auto!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zemez
    Options
    No sir, it happened on both bands and even trying to adjust all the settings did not help. On some networks attempting to connect would completely glitch the adapter out and cause it to reset or even completely crash the driver. It is very strange behavior to say the least. 

Now, on most networks it worked flawlessly and I had no issue at all with it connecting. The problem is that it is unpredictable and unreliable in preportion to the travel that I do. I need a component that will be more stable. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Are you using version 1803, 1809 or 1903 of windows 10?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zemez
    Options
    Version 1903, and yes I know it is buggy, but it happened to me on the 1809 version as well. Also it did not matter if I used the Acer Qualcomm driver, old or new ones, or if I used the Microsoft versions of the drivers.

Keep note that from researching the issue I found that across the board on multiple devices from different manufacturers this problem is being observed on this Qualcomm Athros network card. 
  • Zemez
    Options
    The issue with the Qualcomm adapter is not an Acer problem, it is a driver issue on Windows 10, Acer can only load the drivers from the manufacturer.