NVMe support on Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R5ED not present? Why, since it is for the Intel models?

Zemez
Zemez Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So I have recently purchased an Nitro 5 AN515-42 model with a Ryzen 5 for a great price, and I had a Samsung 970 EVO already and I wanted to install however, after installing it is not detected in bios or Windows 10. After searching for answers I have found out that it has to do with the bios for this model not allowing advanced setup for the AMD models, but from reading I found that the Intel models had the support for it. So my main question is why did you (Acer) decide that you would allow it for the Intel Variants and not the AMD? Is there a bias against the AMD platforms? Are you still working on the Bios for the AMD Models? Did you plan for the AMD models not to be able to upgrade to the newer faster drives? Did you think that the consumers for the AMD models did not want to have the ssd in the M.2 slot and a storage drive in the bay? 

So I am going to ask, and i think those of us that have the AMD models will agree, will you release a bios update that will unlock that functionality. or make a custom bios for those of us that need it unlocked. 

If anyone else has answers for us then please let us all know. Also, as a long shot, let us know if we can just install the bios for the Intel models on the AMD ones?

Answers

• What is the bios version of your notebook? Many users are having difficulty installing an ssd nvme on this model!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Have you tried setting the SATA mode to AHCI from BIOS?

As the M.2 port is M key, that means the M.2 port is PCIe, that support NVMe SSDs. If setting the sata mode to AHCI doesn't, then there is some incompatibility going on. 

The AMD variant of Nitro 5 supports NVMe SSDs. If it supported only SATA, then Acer wouldn't be able to fix that with a BIOS update, as the PCIe lanes have to be physically connected to the M.2 port.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Zemez
    The 1.13 version, 

I had 1.09 and i tried it with all of them in succession, 1.10,1.11,1.12. It had no effect on the ability to change the settings or remove Raid and the drive was not detected at all in the M.2 slot. i know the drive is good because it removed it from a working pc.
  • ven98
    edited March 2019
    >>>>>><<<<<<<
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Zemez said:
    The 1.13 version, 

I had 1.09 and i tried it with all of them in succession, 1.10,1.11,1.12. It had no effect on the ability to change the settings or remove Raid and the drive was not detected at all in the M.2 slot. i know the drive is good because it removed it from a working pc.
    So there is no option to select AHCI?

If that is the case you can try creating a supervisor password to see if it will unlock the option to select AHCI.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Zemez
    AHCI is enabled and it is the only option, there is limited advanced settings in this Bios, the Intel Bios has all that functionality but not the AMD. 
  • Zemez
    i will try the password option and see.
  • ven98
    Ah, yes I forgot that it makes sense for the AMD models to not have RAID as option, because the motherboard doesn't have integrated RAID controller, so it relies on the CPU to control the RAID via Intel Rapid Storage technology, and as it is Intel's tool it won't work on AMD platform.

I can't think of a reason why the SSD is not detected, except that it is simply not compatible with the device for unknown reason.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Zemez
    Password Option did not work. The PCI lanes  have to be there if the models can use the M.2 configuration. i have two ryzen MOBs that support it so the chipset supports it.

• I believe it will not work, but have you ever tried cloning ssd? Have you checked in legacy bootmode, ssd is recognized?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ven98
    It is possible that the BIOS is the reason why the SSD is not detected, I can't think of anything else. Maybe you can ask Acer support if they know anything about it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Zemez
    i ordered a Samsung 860 evo m.2 Sata drive and will see if i can get it to work but it won't be here for a week, they are moving to the NVMe standard and that is why this is frustrating,
  • Zemez
    legacy mode is unavailable in the AMD Bios, only available in the Intel Bios and Acer support said that Bios falls under the Hardware Support Division.
  • Zemez
    I called Hardware Support but they are only available mon-fri.

• Beamer1124
    Beamer1124 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Any updates on this? I have the same issue got a 970 evo plus and put in in and couldn’t get it to work then I found this and don’t really wanna open the laptop back up it would be nice if it was just a bios that fixed it
  • selinabqq
    selinabqq Member Posts: 2 New User
    I will not be buying ACER and will be recommending people avoid ACER in the future.

Find the Best SEO Company

• Zemez
    Alright now I have installed a Samsung 860 SATA m.2 drive and the laptop doesn't see it either. What is going on. SATA m.2 is supported on this laptop. I am now irritated and will be calling Acer tomorrow.  
  • Zemez
    So i just found out that that there are only a few SATA SSD's that are supported in the m.2 slot for the AMD models:

KN.2560G.022 
    KN.25604.039 
    KN.12807.024 
    KN.1280G.003 

So all the other drives are White Listed in the bios. So looks like the only fix is to mod the bios. Thanks Acer for making thing incompatible!! :'(
  • baboonator
    baboonator Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    Zemez said:
    So i just found out that that there are only a few SATA SSD's that are supported in the m.2 slot for the AMD models:

KN.2560G.022 
    KN.25604.039 
    KN.12807.024 
    KN.1280G.003 

So all the other drives are White Listed in the bios. So looks like the only fix is to mod the bios. Thanks Acer for making thing incompatible!! :'(
    WHAT DA ....???
    are u srsly? so all other crucial, samsung, kinsgston, adata etc... ssd's will not work on this ...book???

[Edited by moderator]
  • This model does not accept nvme!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer