16 month old nitro 5 (515-51-53 hs) motherboard faulty options please

Alxartin
Alxartin Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2019 in Nitro Gaming
Hi All,
In october 2017 i bought my first gaming laptop , I opted for an acer nitro 5 . It just stopped working one day and i thought it must be the charger as power was low. I sent it to acer and they have told me the motherboard needs replacing and they quoted £750. I told them to send it back and I am gutted . What can I do ...suggestions please...I am finding it hard to accept that it costs that much to repair and there is nothing i can do,,i know i should have bought the warranty but its to late now, what's is it worth in parts ? Are acer reliable with their diagnosis? Any suggestions appreciated. 

Answers

• Hello! Could you tell me the exact model of the notebook? Example an515-51-75kz! Does the notebook power on the power and battery leds? Have you tried resetting the internal battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Alxartin
    Hi egydiocoelho, i have tried the battery reset,and also bought a new charger from argos but still no power lights and wont charge.  Sent it to to acer support at a cost of 35 quid only for them to tell me its the motherboard. The model is 515-51-53 hs
  • have you checked that this button is pressed?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder
    edited March 2019
    Alxartin, sorry but what u mean what options you have? I think this is pretty straight forward mate, I mean if the MB is gone then u have to replace it... Can you find it cheaper that with Acer, maybe YES... You just said you ran out of options at this point I don't see how u would try any troubleshooting if it was already diagnosed by the service center/tech...
    What exactly are you trying to get an answer on?

Look at price here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/devices-systems/laptops/standard/acer-nitro-5-an515-51-55wl-H40099796.html

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• Alxartin
    Hi Coqui13, thanks for your reply,  i don't know if the motherboard alone can be replaced on this model is the anything attached which also needs replacing ? , spec lists never mention the part number , i guess i want to know off the experts what to do ie sell it for parts, seek a cheaper repair if so who , are Acer support reliable or do they get it wrong ? Does the maufacturer of the motherboard offer a replacement as its only just out of warranty? I guess im just hoping someone can suggest a way to salvage some of the cost of this laptop, its the most i have ever spent and im finding it hard to accept thats it after 16 months and hardly used it for gaming. 
  • What exactly did the technical support tell you?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    It is worth some value in parts. Unfortunately, if as you say the motherboard is dead it is a job to swap it. Most people would opt to replace the entire thing. The Nitro 5's don't have a recall or defect concerning the motherboard/power as far as I'm aware. Many out there are running after 12-24 months mine included.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    The CPU and the GPU are part of the motherboard, therefore with a new motherboard you get new CPU and GPU.
    What exactly did the technical support tell you?
    From my personal experience, they most likely told him that the motherboard is faulty and needs replacement, without any details.

Unfortunately, the troubleshooting that Acer does is to find, which major component is faulty, e.g CPU, GPU, motherboard, RAM, Storage drive, etc. In your case, as the CPU and GPU are part of the motherboard, even if the CPU is the issue it is still considered motherboard fault. They most likely don't test individual components of the motherboard like voltage regulators, capacitors, etc. In other words if for instance a capacitor has blown off, they are not going to replace it.

When you press the power button, does anything turn on, for example fans starting to spin, keyboard backlight flashing, or anything of this kind? Have you tried turning on the laptop plugged in, without battery?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• That's why I do not like the processors to be integrated into the motherboard! In addition to making the upgrade difficult, they condemn the entire motherboard! If it was only a problem in the processor for example and it was not integrated, it would have to replace it with another one!
    I know there may have been some problem with another component. Now, charge 750 pounds to replace a motherboard, in my opinion, not worth it!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Alxartin
    Thanks for all your replies and comments,  i received the laptop back today , no details of what tests were done. When they rang me a week ago they just said its the motherboard and couldnt offer any more detail. 750 to replace ....yes or no thats all they said.As for previous comments here are the answers ...I have made sure the internal button is pressed , there is no sign of power at all. No lights ,fans,sounds its completely dead with or without being plugged in. I have tried the pin hole battery reset. I am unable to drop the battery as its internal. I have had a quote to sell it for parts at £103. I am going to put it on ebay as i thimk it it will get more. Thanks again everybody. I have come to terms with the loss and its time to move on.Alex
  • titussol
    titussol Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yeah, The Nitro 5's don't have a recall or defect concerning the motherboard/power as far as I'm aware.

Cakes delivered

• Ruhire
    Ruhire Member Posts: 8 New User
    Alxartin said:
    Hi All,
    In october 2017 i bought my first gaming laptop , I opted for an acer nitro 5 . It just stopped working one day and i thought it must be the charger as power was low. I sent it to acer and they have told me the motherboard needs replacing and they quoted £750. I told them to send it back and I am gutted . What can I do ...suggestions please...I am finding it hard to accept that it costs that much to repair and there is nothing i can do,,i know i should have bought the warranty but its to late now, what's is it worth in parts ? Are acer reliable with their diagnosis? Any suggestions appreciated. 
    Acer nitro 5 is a disappointing and faulty machine, mine got effed up after only 6 month of use, and customer service told me i have to pay 11m IDR (~800 USD) to replace the stupid board. I have no trust in Acer products and its poor customer service anymore, first amd last purchase ever from acer. 
  • rebit
    rebit Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Alxartin said:
    Thanks for all your replies and comments,  i received the laptop back today , no details of what tests were done. When they rang me a week ago they just said its the motherboard and couldnt offer any more detail. 750 to replace ....yes or no thats all they said.As for previous comments here are the answers ...I have made sure the internal button is pressed , there is no sign of power at all. No lights ,fans,sounds its completely dead with or without being plugged in. I have tried the pin hole battery reset. I am unable to drop the battery as its internal. I have had a quote to sell it for parts at £103. I am going to put it on ebay as i thimk it it will get more. Thanks again everybody. I have come to terms with the loss and its time to move on.Alex
    I hope you choose a better manufacturer for your next laptop. And if you don't game often, don't buy a gaming machine.
  • ladykam
    ladykam Member Posts: 1 New User
    That is exactly what happened to me. It figures that the motherboard went because the 1 year warranty expired in March 2019. I am a pc tech so I already did everything like taking the battery out & hitting the reset button on the motherboard itself.  I dr googled it & I came across this posting. It is a true story, Nitro 5 has a faulty motherboard! Mad to find out that I am not alone on my assessment. 
  • alanfalcaothe
    alanfalcaothe Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello. My name is Alan and I'm from Brazil.  I also bought an Acer nitro 5 in July last year, and this month was playing when it went out and did not respond to any attempts to call.  I'm very upset.  In my country I paid around 960 USD $ in the i7 16gb gtx1050ti version.  It's very expensive relative to the salaries here.  Such equipment cannot simply break down.  He is relatively new, I think he has not yet had time for a mass problem.  However only here in the forum 3 identical cases cannot be coincidence or accident.  I believe it is a manufacturing defect.  I will investigate the possibility of triggering a lawyer against Acer!  I am devastated without my work equipment.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited September 2019
    Hello! I am brazilian too. I suggest you create a new topic by clicking ask a question. It would be interesting for you to report the exact problem and model of the notebook. Add me by putting an @.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MotherNITRO
    MotherNITRO Member Posts: 2 New User
    I too have suffered mainboard failure on 2 Nitro 5 laptops.
    1st failure within 3 days of purchase and my replacement now again in month 13, one month outside warranty. 

Acer cannot explain and cost of repair is more expensive than a brand new Dell or Asus with same specs. WTF Acer?

The real kick in the gut is that barely used the machine in the 13 months that I've had it. It has not even booted up 20 times yet.
    R16000 ZAR down the drain. I would have gotten better use of my cash had I set it on fire instead. From my experience it seems Acer is simply an unreliable and inferior product.
  • RanaV
    RanaV Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hello! Could you tell me the exact model of the notebook? Example an515-51-75kz! Does the notebook power on the power and battery leds? Have you tried resetting the internal battery?
    Take it to a local computer repair shop, Which specializes in hardware repairing. Ask him to analyse each and every chip on the board, if it's a problem with any of the capacitor, resistor, diode, transistor or any IC he will desolder the component, remove it, and solder a new component back in. This won't take you £750. Maximum price of repair might be £200, depending upon the repair shop. If the CPU/GPU is blown/damaged then you might have to replace the entire motherboard because the CPU and GPU are soldered to the motherboard and hence it's very hard to find replacement and even of you find the replacement CPU/GPU it will cost no less than £500-£700. So in this case replace the motherboard. But first get the motherboard analysis done from a local computer repair shop and check whether chip level repairing is possible
  • Deepak_Rawte
    Deepak_Rawte Member Posts: 1 New User
    It's been 16+ months I bought this device. Yesterday my laptop stopped charging. It's working fine but there's no option to charge this device. I already tried the pinhole method and troubleshooting but didn't worked for me. I have contacted the nearest service center as it is pandemic it's hard for me to get this device repaired.