What can be done with a Swift 3 and a USB-C dock

doktoilmakresh
doktoilmakresh Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone,

I'm the owner of a Swift 3 (SF314-56-58s7).
I'd like to know if it is possible to charge it through a USB-C dock and if it is possible to have external display using the same dock.
if yes, what are the technical specs to comply with ?
In the best case scenario, I want to buy a USB-C dock that will be used by different laptops (of course different brands...)

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The port is USB 3.1 Gen 2. USB-C ports can be either 3.0 or 3.1. The dock you get for it should be able at least give you charging, ethernet and video.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    If there's anything needed in the BIOS I would guess it to be the Secure Boot option. Secure Boot makes it so it has to have a known good image before booting, typically done with the boot image signed correctly. That makes it almost impossible for a root kit to get inserted before the OS load. If the Ubuntu image isn't signed then Secure Boot would block it. It's possible that Ubuntu has gotten their boot images signed by now, though it'd likely be only the LTS versions. Anyway, try the live boot first, then try the install (but make sure you have a factory recovery image saved first!). If it doesn't work try turning off Secure Boot (some models make you crate a BIOS password to turn off SB) and then retry the install.

I believe the USB-C has both power and display support...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• The USB 3.0 port of this model allows you to charge devices when the notebook is off. You must enable this function in acer quick access:

With regard to USB port 3.1, to accept an external monitor, it must be second generation, so that it is compatible with thunderbolt technology. However, in the service guide for this model, it indicates that this model may come with two different versions of the usb port 3.1, see:
    USB 3.1 Gen I TPS2544
    USB 3.1 Gen II TPS25810
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • doktoilmakresh
    Thanks Egydio for your prompt answer. I may have misexplained or misunderstand your answer, because my question is about the USB-C connector, and the possibility to use it to charge the laptop, not an external device.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    The port is USB 3.1 Gen 2. USB-C ports can be either 3.0 or 3.1. The dock you get for it should be able at least give you charging, ethernet and video.
  • doktoilmakresh
    Hello Bill,
    Thank you for your answer.
    I've read that to make it work with Ubuntu, there is an option to disable in BIOS. Are you aware of such thing ?
  • doktoilmakresh
    Another question : does the laptop support USB-C PD and DisplayPort mode ?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    If there's anything needed in the BIOS I would guess it to be the Secure Boot option. Secure Boot makes it so it has to have a known good image before booting, typically done with the boot image signed correctly. That makes it almost impossible for a root kit to get inserted before the OS load. If the Ubuntu image isn't signed then Secure Boot would block it. It's possible that Ubuntu has gotten their boot images signed by now, though it'd likely be only the LTS versions. Anyway, try the live boot first, then try the install (but make sure you have a factory recovery image saved first!). If it doesn't work try turning off Secure Boot (some models make you crate a BIOS password to turn off SB) and then retry the install.

I believe the USB-C has both power and display support...
  • doktoilmakresh
    Bill,

Thanks again for your detailled answer !
  • billsey
    No problem, let us know how it all comes out. :)