Boot screen missing on TC-280

Options
PC_Confused
PC_Confused Member Posts: 21 Networker
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
For some reason, my Boot screen, that comes up and allows changes to boot order or BIOS, isn't showing up?  I am running Windows 10 Home, on an Aspire TC-280, and running the 64-bit operating system.  I've tried pressing the F2 or F12 keys with no help.  The PC goes right into the Windows screen.  Is there a way to get the start-up screen back?  I would like to try running a Linux Mint live DVD, to experiment with Linux, but I can't change the boot order?

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Make sure fast start-up is disabled from power options or restart the PC and then press F2 for BIOS.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Make sure fast start-up is disabled from power options or restart the PC and then press F2 for BIOS.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• PC_Confused
    PC_Confused Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options
    Turning off Fast-start solved the problem.  An opinion...  when Windows does their routine updates, does that Fast-start option get reset?  I've had another program that recommended turning Fast-start off, and I did it for that program, so I knew where to go to uncheck that box.  I was surprised to find the box checked again???  Thank you for your help.
  • ven98
    Options
    I am not sure, but I think it is possible for windows update to cause this, to recheck the box for fast startup I mean.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,267 Trailblazer
    Options
    One of the stated goals for Microsoft with the Windows 10 releases is faster startups, so it wouldn't be surprising to see them tweak that occasionally.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.