An additional fast SSD to my ATC-705?

Options
MarkkuS
MarkkuS Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Hi all,
I have currently in my desktop 1 HDD and 1 SSD internally. There is still only one PCIe X1-connector available on thr motherboard. I have now my OS (Win10) and a data base (the DB of an image archive software, some 10 Gb) in that SSD. All intensive database operations take the SSD to its extreme, so I start grasping if there could be one more SSD which is faster than the current one. My questions are:
1) Is the idea to move DB to its own SSD feasible, i.e. there will be some speed advantage? Thus, there would be no need for boot capability in this new SSD. 2) Is there some way to get a fast SSD connected to the system through PCIe X1. The speed of current SATAIII SSD is (according to the mfg: R: 525Mb/s. no W spec)
I have tryed to understand requirements and learned that there are number of different converter cards in the markets which can be connected to a PCIe X1 and provide different output interfaces. Now, could you propose some converters as well as SSDs.
I use my desktop primarily in archieving and post processing of digital photos.

B.r, thanks in advance MarkkuS

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    @MarkkuS

Your mainboard has PCIe 2.0 so your PCIe x1 slot has a max theoretical speed of 500 MB/s (if I remember correctly).  It won't be faster than using one of your SATA ports (and will probably be slower).  I'd probably put your HDD in to an external USB HDD enclosure and use it for backups.  And then I'd install a new 2.5 inch SSD.

Don't forget that your mainboard has three SATA ports.  The two white ones are SATA 3.0 and the black one is SATA 2.0.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MarkkuS
    Options
    Hi JordanB, thanks for your response. This was the first one I received, so I also started to collect info about this myself. Yes, you are right and your proposal is what I also started to grasp after understanding the speed limits in X1. What I did not know is the existence of that SATAII connection.

I think now I´ll give a try to what you proposed and test it aginst SATAII alternative.
    Thanks, MarkkuS
  • MarkkuS
    Options
    Hi all,
    I like to update the situation regarding my question: I bought a PCIe X1 to SATA3-adapter and installed it. I connected the current HDD into adapter´s SATA3-port and the new SDD got connected to SATA3 which became now available from HDD. This, because SATA3-port in PCIe-SATA3-adapter is slower than current SATA3-port in the mobo. Now I have 2 SSDs connected to the mobo, one for OS and one for database of the DAM program. I can see improvement in responsivity of the system (i.e. when database-operations are ongoing (and in some cases it may take even some hours), I can run other programs with average responsiveness). The speed of database operation itself is, however, more or less same as earlier. On the other hand, the slower interface in HDD does not seem to make loading/saving slower in practice.

If I had a more modern (i.e. e.g. PCIex4 ) connection available, the best solution had been to have a NVMe-SSD in that connection. This in mind I´m now grasping if it could be possible to take that kind of connection from the use of current GPU-board and use (if such exists?) monitor i/o in the mobo. (I hadly need any real fast graphic controller in photo processing). Could anyone of you comment on this?
  • MarkkuS
    Options
    Hi all,
    Still one more comment: the SATA2-port is originally reserved for the use of the optical drive and I left it as is.