CPU fan speed doesn't reach max speed Helios 300 G3-571

punkdai
punkdai Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a Helios 300 G3-571 laptop which I bought around August 2018 . Since a few days, I started to hear a small noise from the bottom of my laptop and on closer look, I found that one of the fans was struggling to spin. It spins for a fraction of a second and then stops immediately. I opened up the predator sense app and it shows that that the CPU fan is at 0 while the GPU fan is running at normal speed. Even on switching to max settings, the GPU fan reaches 6000 RPM while the CPU fan shows idle. However, sometimes the Predator sense app starts to show that the CPU fan is spinning as well, but it does not reach its maximum speed of 6000 now. And, I think it's starting to heat furthermore when I play games nowadays. What might be the issue with the CPU fan though? Is it directly related to the temperature as well?

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited March 2019 Answer ✓
    Having one of the fans not spinning will result in higher temperatures, as there will be less airflow.

Maybe the fan needs some lubrication, so if you feel confident opening the laptop you can apply some grease/oil to the fan, as the current lubricant might have dried out.

Maybe the fan is rubbing against the plastic enclosure, which can/may prevent it from spinning from time to time. 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited March 2019 Answer ✓
    Having one of the fans not spinning will result in higher temperatures, as there will be less airflow.

Maybe the fan needs some lubrication, so if you feel confident opening the laptop you can apply some grease/oil to the fan, as the current lubricant might have dried out.

Maybe the fan is rubbing against the plastic enclosure, which can/may prevent it from spinning from time to time. 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!