Installing Windows 7 on Spin 5

maof97
maof97 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,
I have the problem, that I cant install Windows 7 on my Spin 5.
The USB installer, which I made with Rufus, is recocgnized as Legacy in the UEFI and after I click that it gives an error (see picture).
If I start the installer USB via Clover (so UEFI mode) it wont even load anything at all (litterally, its just a black screen).
If I try to install Win7 directly from Win10 (double-click on setup.exe) it seems like its doing fine. It lets me select a >100GB partition on my SSD (GPT) and it will copy files etc. After the restart the installer boots and the Windows logo animation shows up with the text "Starting Windows". But than it just freezes (I guess); The fan rises and rises and will go full volume (which is really loud) but even after more than 15 minutes nothing happend.
I hope that someone can help me with my problem or tell me if it is even possible at all to run Win7 on this device...

Btw: I have the Spin 5 with the NVIDIA GTX 1050 inside and it works all fine on Win10, if thats important.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning maof97 !

For the installation to be effective, you should be aware of some factors:

1- Windows 7 ISO should contain only one and only one internal version (iso's multiversions do not work and no x86 versions) of Ultimate, Professional or Home Premium releases with SP1 included.
    2- Bios must be set to the same native UEFi mode and SecureBoot disabled.
    3- The HDD / SSD should be conveyed to GPT.
    4- The boot media created with Rufus or manually must support UEFi in GPT format.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• maof97
    maof97 Member Posts: 2 New User
    MaClane said:
    Good Morning maof97 !

For the installation to be effective, you should be aware of some factors:

1- Windows 7 ISO should contain only one and only one internal version (iso's multiversions do not work and no x86 versions) of Ultimate, Professional or Home Premium releases with SP1 included.
    2- Bios must be set to the same native UEFi mode and SecureBoot disabled.
    3- The HDD / SSD should be conveyed to GPT.
    4- The boot media created with Rufus or manually must support UEFi in GPT format.

to 1: The ISO FIle is called "de_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676919.iso" so I guess thats fine?
    to 2: I cant even set an UEFI Mode lol (latest firmware yes) and SecureBoot is disabled.
    to 3: Both are
    to 4: Did it with Rufus exactly like you said, in GPT mode with FAT32  and also with NTFS blocks (Used the default blocksize for both).

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    I have a somewhat different take on this. Win7 will only boot from an MBR partitioned HDD under BIOS, not UEFI bootstrap. Win7 can read GPT disk but not boot from them. Accordingly, your UEFI bootstrap must be changed to Legacy BIOS. You may have to first set and save a supervisor password to make these changes by re-entering the BIOS with the password.

So, if it were my Spin5, I'd first create a recovery stick because changing the boot drive from GPT to MBR partitioning will wipe all vestages of Win10 including the hidden ACER recovery partition. The Win7 installation stick should be FAT32 formatted with Rufus and your Win7 iso. Or you can create the Win7 installation stick using Microsoft's usb creation tool   http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery.

You may still get an error because the boot drive must be changed from GPT to MBR partitioning and may not be done automatically depending on the Win7 iso that you use. In that case, the iso's repair function may allow you to do so from the command prompt using the DISKPART tool in which you first wipe the boot drive clean and then change its partitoning from GPT to MBR.

A word of caution. The Spin5's were not certified/warranted to run without problems under Win7, only the Win10 version from which they left the factory. So certain peripheral devices, such as WIFI for example, may not work properly or at all under Win7.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• bloodhand
    bloodhand Member Posts: 2 New User
    See here how to install Win7 x64 on Acer Spin 5:
    2) Guide only for i7-8550u CPU: https://pastebin.com/s4Um340W

• khalidger1
    khalidger1 Member Posts: 3 New User
    hello 
    i,m acer spin 5 no windows 7

• khalidger1
    I have the problem, that I cant install Windows 7 on my Spin 5.
    The USB installer, which I made with Rufus, is recocgnized as Legacy in the UEFI and after I click that it gives an error (see picture).
    If I start the installer USB via Clover (so UEFI mode) it wont even load anything at all (litterally, its just a black screen).
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    I see no picture? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    I think he was just quoting the previous user. @khalidger1 please start your own thread. Include the full model number, what you are trying to do, what is actually happening and anything you have done so far to try and fix it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • khalidger1
    Hello I have like a device in the first comment spin 5 and I want to download windows 7 but I can not the same problem in the first comment I wish reply
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    We need to know which model Spin 5 you have. Many of the newer models will not run Windows 7, there are no drivers for W7 and the newer chipsets.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.