Question regarding UEFI to replace BIOS on my Aspire M3420 with windows 7

MDB2019
MDB2019 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
My current bios does not support UEFI and I would like to upgrade the bios to UEFI so I can install a newer graphics card. All newrer cards require UEFI.
The support site shows replacement UEFI for BIOS but does not indicate whether they support windows 7.
Has anyone done this successfully?
Does anyone still have paid support and can ask a question?
My serial number is ***********************.
Thanks in advance.

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Harvey]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Windows 7 only supports UEFI with sp1, the original build didn't have it yet. If your W7 install image includes sp1 then you could likely reinstall in a UEFI environment. It has to be a full reinstall, including any applications and personal data though. If you are going to that much trouble I'd be tempted to go ahead with the W10 upgrade at the same time. Remember that W7 support goes away next year.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    Sorry. You must replace the mainboard for UEFI bootstrapper. What graphics cards were you most interested in? Cards usually don't care about the BIOS as long as the slot is available and compatible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    Good night MDB2019 !

Firstly, I do not know the fact that graphics cards require UEFi mode to work or not.

On the Support website, the options are for Windows 8 only.
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Windows 7 only supports UEFI with sp1, the original build didn't have it yet. If your W7 install image includes sp1 then you could likely reinstall in a UEFI environment. It has to be a full reinstall, including any applications and personal data though. If you are going to that much trouble I'd be tempted to go ahead with the W10 upgrade at the same time. Remember that W7 support goes away next year.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MDB2019
    MDB2019 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the help on this issue. The video card I have is the Nvidia GTX 560 TI. I spoke to their support group who indicated that was the last card that didn't require UEFI.
    Other manufacturers also indicated they did not have a better card that also didn't require UEFI.
    Guess I'm stuck here until I replace the desktop.
    Again, thanks for the fast answers.