Acer Predator G3-571 "Failed to play test tone" on ALL audio devices. Tried most typical solutions.

DavieFL
DavieFL Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Since Saturday or so, I am getting no sound from either HDMI/TV, nor internal speakers (realtek),

No sounds produced via Bluetooth, nor wired headsets either....nothing.

In control panel, when i right-click to test devices, they all result in the error "Failed to play test tone"

There are several articles w/ suggestions on this issue. Tried everything except system restore

tried:

-restarting audio servces

- sfc / scannow

- tweaking sample rate

- disabling enhancements

- removing devices from device manager

- telling windows to install new drivers

- tried a previous restore point (but computer didnt boot w/ that point)

did not do:

- system restore

system:

Acer Predator G3-571

core i7, 16gb

nvidia gtx1060

any other ideas??!

Answers

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    reinstall audio drivers from acer website.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • DavieFL
    tks deejay.  already tried that.  will try Nvidia drive too (that drives HDMI audio i believe)
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    What happened on Saturday? I mean PC installed some updates by itself?
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • DavieFL
    did not use laptop on Saturday - but Win Update log shows that KB4486553 was installed on Friday.  Tempted to try uninstalling that update but a bit afraid to make it non-bootable.  It's my work machine and having to rebuild win install would set me back about a day.  If i go that route, i'll try it on the weekend.
  • XdxD
    edited March 2019
    DavieFL said:
    did not use laptop on Saturday - but Win Update log shows that KB4486553 was installed on Friday.  Tempted to try uninstalling that update but a bit afraid to make it non-bootable.  It's my work machine and having to rebuild win install would set me back about a day.  If i go that route, i'll try it on the weekend.
    Uninstall it and check your audio. Later install latest KB update manually. Uninstalling a KB update doesn't lead to boot failure. Even in Windows 10 Update History, Microsoft recommends uninstalling this particular update. Or maybe, just install the latest update (March 12) manually. 
  • XdxD
    edited March 2019

DavieFL said:
     My PC never installed this KB update as PC wasn't turned on the last 2 weeks. However, I manually installed this update in old PC and it messed up its boot files. Had to repair it.
  • XdxD
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4489899/windows-10-update-kb4489899
    Well, if you have multiple audio devices, don't install any of the March updates.
  • DavieFL
    installed KB4490481 with supposed audio fixes...still "no go".     Failed to play test tone on all devices.  tried removing devices too.  this sucks.
  • XdxD
    DavieFL said:
    installed KB4490481 with supposed audio fixes...still "no go".     Failed to play test tone on all devices.  tried removing devices too.  this sucks.
    Did you try clean installing 1803 build?
  • DavieFL
    not yet...i've been slammed at work.  But it's on my to-do list.
  • DavieFL
    tried all solutions including User/Groups and RegEdit tweaks....  finally had to reset machine and it works.  P.I.T.A. if u ask me!
  • XdxD
    DavieFL said:
    tried all solutions including User/Groups and RegEdit tweaks....  finally had to reset machine and it works.  P.I.T.A. if u ask me!
    Reset, unfortunately most of the time, is the way to go for these kind of problems. Good for you that you didn't had to install 1803 again. 1903 is available now.