Aspire One Atheros WiFi Network Aspire One 522

grovelli
grovelli Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've successfully upgraded to Windows 10 on my Aspire One 522 netbook and used it flawlessly for two years but now, after connecting to the web using Ethernet, the Qualcomm Atheros AR5B95 Wireless Network Adapter keeps on showing up as not connected in the Change Adapter Options window. The Wi-Fi toggle in Windows 10 Settings' Wi-Fi window displays as OFF and if I toggle it back ON it comes back off once I right-click the Qualcomm Atheros AR5B95 Wireless Network Adapter icon and select Connect. (Besides the fact the Wi-Fi icon in the taskbar always shows as not connected)

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    How long ago did this happen? If less than a month, open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in the left pane. Click 'system restore' button. Click next. Choose the automatic restore point with a datestamp around the time you lost the wifi. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    How long ago did this happen? If less than a month, open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in the left pane. Click 'system restore' button. Click next. Choose the automatic restore point with a datestamp around the time you lost the wifi. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• grovelli
    Thanks Jack, I carried out the automatic restore but I got the message it couldn't be finalised and it suggested to disable the antivirus(Windows Defender in my case) so I did that and for some reason the wi-fi icon in the taskbar now provided the list of the wi-fi's available so I chose mine and Bob's your uncle :-)
  • JackE
    Congrats. This will probably happen again unless you download Microsoft update hider to temporarily block the troublesome update till the next major update hopefully fixes it. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

You can also download Windows 10 update blocker freeware (google it) that allegedly give you more control over these updates but you're probably better off with the Microsoft hider for now.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• grovelli
    Since the automatic restore didn't go through I guess I'm hopefully over the hump by now, besides, I'm not sure how I would be able to choose which update to block using the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter.
  • JackE
    It's the non-Microsoft antimalware that usually cause problems. Strange that Defender would've caused this. Is the restore point still there? It my have disappeared anyway. Win10 is strange sometimes. :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• grovelli
    Restore point is still there. I agree with you about the Defender. Strange that it all happened right after using Ethernet cable to connect to a modem.
  • JackE
    I guess it's possible the ethernet port was still looking for the router even though the RJ45 plug was pulled. Next time something like that happens you might want to run 'ipconfig'  at the command prompt to see if the port still thinks it's connected or showing an error.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• grovelli

Are you saying, "when you're using an Ethernet-only modem with the Aspire, don't pull the Ethernet cable before turning off the netbook" or am I incorrectly reading between the lines? By looking at ipconfig for the Aspire(see below) I would say the port still doesn't think it's connected.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.125]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Gio>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State. . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  .  :

Wireless LAN adapter Connection to local network (LAN)* 2:

Media State. . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  .  :

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: fritz.box
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.24
       Subnet mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.1

Tunnel adapter Connection to local network (LAN)* 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix
       IPv6 Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:2851:78dd:841:3516:68c8:fbba
       Link local IPv6 address. . : fe80::841:3516:68c8:fbba%2
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

• JackE
    No. I'm just saying that if/when it happens again, you might want to run 'ipconfig' to see if the port still thinks it's connected or showing an error. Out of curiosity mainly. But your suggestion of "don't pull the Ethernet cable before turning off the netbook" might be worth exploring. Wanna try it to see what happens? Out of curiosity of course. :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• grovelli

So if the port still thinks it's connected would I find

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State. . . . . . . . . . . . : Media Connected ?

As far as pushing my luck with the Atheros adapter I'm still recovering from the trauma so when I muster the courage I will do it, now that I know who to turn to :p if it goes awry again :s 

• JackE
    I'm gonna guess that the ethernet port will show an error instead of connected after the RJ45 plug is pulled. But the Wifi will still show not connected. Then you will probably panic again. After you recover from your recent trauma, then you can tell me if I guessed right. :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• grovelli
    edited March 2019
    Great stuff B)  Where would I find this Connected/Disconnected info about the Ethernet port? Can you maybe post an image?