My Aspire TC-885 turns off on own after in sleep mode

oldlady70
oldlady70 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Instead of me manually shutting down the computer myself it will turn off after being in sleep mode for many hours if I don't use it for a while.  Just got computer last week.  Is it better to shut it down each time I am done with computer or leave it in sleep mode and let it turn off on own?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,925 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It really depends on your usage. We used to use as a rule if thumb that if it was going to be on and in use for more than 8 hours each day to leave it on all the time. That minimized thermal expansion/contraction issues over time and allowed the electronics to last longer, to the detriment of the HDD bearings. These days it's thought that the saving in energy use is more important so by default things shut down after a while. If you, like me, like to have it come up with all the apps in the same state as you left them you might want to use hibernate instead of a shutdown after a long time. These are all set in the power options, though there are actually two or more places where you make changes. Check out Power Option, what the buttons and lid does and the advanced settings where you change the power plans themselves.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,925 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It really depends on your usage. We used to use as a rule if thumb that if it was going to be on and in use for more than 8 hours each day to leave it on all the time. That minimized thermal expansion/contraction issues over time and allowed the electronics to last longer, to the detriment of the HDD bearings. These days it's thought that the saving in energy use is more important so by default things shut down after a while. If you, like me, like to have it come up with all the apps in the same state as you left them you might want to use hibernate instead of a shutdown after a long time. These are all set in the power options, though there are actually two or more places where you make changes. Check out Power Option, what the buttons and lid does and the advanced settings where you change the power plans themselves.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.