Does using RGB peripherals exhaust my CPU and PC parts?

Options
Destroya1221
Destroya1221 Member Posts: 43 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I was recently reading a review of a new Asus laptop which had a fully customizable RGB Asus logo, and it said on the product's page that turning that RGB logo on increases the CPU temperatures by around 3 degrees Celsius which is frankly not that much, but still isn't too minor to consider, so I was thinking that maybe using RGB keyboards and Mice exhaust the CPU and increase its usage in the same way as well...right? Should I disable the RGB effects on my Keyboard and Mouse or would it make no difference. I know I might sound dumb for caring for such a seemingly trivial matter but I really want to know if Peripheral RGB lighting actually exhausts the CPU...
Acer Predator Helios 500 PH317-51

Best Answer

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The particular case of that Asus laptop with the large LED logo placed in close proximity to the other hot components of the laptop is not something all laptops share.
    Other than a very slight battery loss (a few minutes at best), there is no detectable effect to the CPU or other components in the laptop with the RGB on. Certainly not for a mouse that's several inches or feet away from the laptop. Having my LED keyboard on or off seems to make no temperature difference on the Nitro 5.

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I was recently reading a review of a new Asus laptop which had a fully customizable RGB Asus logo, and it said on the product's page that turning that RGB logo on increases the CPU temperatures by around 3 degrees Celsius which is frankly not that much, but still isn't too minor to consider, so I was thinking that maybe using RGB keyboards and Mice exhaust the CPU and increase its usage in the same way as well...right? Should I disable the RGB effects on my Keyboard and Mouse or would it make no difference. I know I might sound dumb for caring for such a seemingly trivial matter but I really want to know if Peripheral RGB lighting actually exhausts the CPU...
    Acer Predator Helios 500 PH317-51
    1. 3% increase in temp is significant when playing intensive games and such.
    2. You can get a USB RGB mouse or keyboard where these things pull power from laptop but do not depend on CPU for anything else. Example, the keyboard I use uses the software only to set some settings, and then the settings are stored on my keyboard memory. Settings prevail when i connect my keyboard to another device without any configuration software installed.

By the way, with my external mouse and external RGB keyboard connected, my CPU stays at about 38-45 under low load tasks.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The particular case of that Asus laptop with the large LED logo placed in close proximity to the other hot components of the laptop is not something all laptops share.
    Other than a very slight battery loss (a few minutes at best), there is no detectable effect to the CPU or other components in the laptop with the RGB on. Certainly not for a mouse that's several inches or feet away from the laptop. Having my LED keyboard on or off seems to make no temperature difference on the Nitro 5.