Swift 3 webcam only not working on skype...

isaacleach
isaacleach Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi there,

I'm having an issue with my (new) Swift 3 SF314-52, running Windows 10. The webcam works on this browser test (https://www.onlinemictest.com/webcam-test/) but doesn't on either skype or the windows camera app. Skype seems to detect it in its video and audio settings (lists 'HD WebCam') and then the green indicator light next to the camera turns on, windows prints 'webcam on' then 'webcam off' and then the green light goes off. Similar thing happens in the camera app, but it gives the following error:  Things I've tried:
restarting skype / wnidows
re-enabling permissions in the windows privacy settings, even though they were all set to allow (see screenshot)
checking for driver updates (even though it was working in the browser)
running sfc /scannow, which yielded "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

any other ideas? i saw once post suggest reinstalling winows...

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,851 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Have you tried uninstalling the Skype version that's on it now, then re-installed the latest version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    >>>but it gives the following error:>>>

What was the error? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• isaacleach

Tinkerer

oops, my mistake
    here it is:
    0xaoof4271<mediacapturefailedevent> (0x800706BE)

• JackE
    edited March 2019
    Do you have any non-Microsoft antimalware or antivirus scanners like AVG, McAfee, Malwarebytes etc installed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• isaacleach

Tinkerer

hmmmm, yes I have avast
  • isaacleach

Tinkerer

but only the free version which does't include the webcam shield...
  • JackE
    Uninstall it anyway, don't just disable it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• isaacleach

Tinkerer

Despite this being a known issue with Avast and AVG, both disabling and fully uninstalling did not help this issue.
  • JackE
    >>>re-enabling permissions in the windows privacy settings, even though they were all set to allow (see screenshot)>>>

I don't see the screenshot. Select all the apps to be able to use the camera in Camera settings menu. Does it look anything like mine below? Better re-check that they haven't been all turned off again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• isaacleach

Tinkerer

All the settings were set to on, apart from a few apps (not skype obviously). I set everything to on then restarted but the problem persisted. Checking the settings once again showed they were still set to on.

• JackE
    Does Skype appear in any of the other privacy settings? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• isaacleach

Tinkerer

I searched through them manually and using the search function: skype doesn't appear anywhere else
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Have you tried uninstalling the Skype version that's on it now, then re-installed the latest version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• isaacleach

Tinkerer

i was pretty skeptical because it was also happening in the camera app but this actually worked! so simple I should've tried it earlier. Thanks a lot for your help, it's much appreciated