Battery power cord, need to know if repairable G9-793-741K

dairo1
dairo1 Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey guys, so I use my laptop in my bed at night and the power cord would always come out. So I just said screw it and used gorilla glue to seal it in. Eventually the rest of the wire got so frayed that the wires were touching and it was sparking. This was yesterday, I bought a new one but I thought I might be able to put a band aid on it until it came. Well the battery kept un charging and charging and I noticed that the power cord itself came right out. It was getting hot. I have some pictures. Is this repairable? Thanks for any info. I don’t even know which parts to look for.

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,749 Pathfinder
    I would suggest getting a new one... should be about $50. Using or repairing your existing one, had you not posted this I would have assumed you knew how to repair properly, is not worth it in this case.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
  • dairo1
    sri369 said:
    I would suggest getting a new one... should be about $50. Using or repairing your existing one, had you not posted this I would have assumed you knew how to repair properly, is not worth it in this case.
    Look closer. It’s melted together I think. I think I would have to repair the whole terminal inside the laptop. 
  • dairo1
    sri369 said:
    There are just 2 pins showing inside the connector in the laptop. I can’t remember but I’m pretty sure that’s not how it looked before. 
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Possibly repairable with a donor laptop that is not damaged in that area. I'd imagine GooGone and some alcohol would remove the Gorilla Glue residue. But you are right, the internals have come out with the cord which is not a simple fix.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,749 Pathfinder
    dairo1 said:
    sri369 said:
    Look closer. It’s melted together I think. I think I would have to repair the whole terminal inside the laptop. 
    That's true... i didn't notice that... good eye sight there eagle eye :-)
    Take the laptop to a service center to determine the level of damage. If the damage is limited to supply in area, it might be a localized repair to that area (more like replacing that pin).
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited March 2019
    @dairo1 well i would say for sure your warranty just got voided :p (who does this kind of work on any laptop especially a gaming laptop?) you damaged the laptop yourself so Acer will not accept your warranty anymore (they will be completely be LMFAO when they look at your post/pics) you will have to pay for it yourself to get it fixed probably a new board as you cant replace the mobo connector only its soldered or just get a guy who is good with microelectronics soldering you also would need the terminal which will be hard to find as these kind or parts are not available to sell to anyone this is why Acer prefers to replace the motherboards instead of fixing them its much easier and less time consumable if your issue was the cable wouldnt hold in place you should had contacted your seller/shop or acer support and report it to send it to warranty not doing what u did everyone knows petfectly well that super glue melts plastic :p i really can't understand what did u had in mind and personally i dunno what i would do to someone who would do that kind of job to my laptop

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• dairo1
    xapim said:
    @dairo1 well i would say for sure your warranty just got voided :p (who does this kind of work on any laptop especially a gaming laptop?) you damaged the laptop yourself so Acer will not accept your warranty anymore (they will be completely be LMFAO when they look at your post/pics) you will have to pay for it yourself to get it fixed probably a new board as you cant replace the mobo connector only its soldered or just get a guy who is good with microelectronics soldering you also would need the terminal which will be hard to find as these kind or parts are not available to sell to anyone this is why Acer prefers to replace the motherboards instead of fixing them its much easier and less time consumable if your issue was the cable wouldnt hold in place you should had contacted your seller/shop or acer support and report it to send it to warranty not doing what u did everyone knows petfectly well that super glue melts plastic :p i really can't understand what did u had in mind and personally i dunno what i would do to someone who would do that kind of job to my laptop

It it was never under warranty. I did this myself because I only use it in bed to watch YouTube and stuff. I don’t sit on one side so I’m constantly moving the laptop left to right. And I just sleep with it under my covers too. After a while the wires get frayed. It’s held up over a year with gorilla glue. It would have still held up if it wasn’t shorting out and creating so much heat. However I think you are right. Sigh, if it’s a new motherboard I don’t know if I’ll even replace it. I’ll take it to a computer shop and see what they say. 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited March 2019
    @dairo1 my best guess is try to find a donor mobo on aliexpress that would be the best place to look for if u cant find it there i doubt u will find it anywhere else just get the exact mobo model and version (you would have to disassemble it completely to find it and would also have to repaste it before putting it back together) usually its printed in the mobo underside as i said you would have to take it all apart completely and aka i thought you would still be on warranty my bad :)

PS: i also use my predator on bed only in fact i play on my knees all the time and i have enough cable mine's not even a bit damaged u just have to take the care of untangle it to get it straight everytime u pull for it it's a bit of common sense nothing else and just want to state the predator adapter cable/socket are the best ones i had ever saw on any laptop they lock properly and stay locked not like my 5740G that if u keep moving around it will just pop out same as my 7745G and the compaq/hp's i also have

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• dairo1
    xapim said:
    @dairo1 my best guess is try to find a donor mobo on aliexpress that would be the best place to look for if u cant find it there i doubt u will find it anywhere else just get the exact mobo model and version (you would have to disassemble it completely to find it and would also have to repaste it before putting it back together) usually its printed in the mobo underside as i said you would have to take it all apart completely and aka i thought you would still be on warranty my bad :)

PS: i also use my predator on bed only in fact i play on my knees all the time and i have enough cable mine's not even a bit damaged u just have to take the care of untangle it to get it straight everytime u pull for it it's a bit of common sense nothing else and just want to state the predator adapter cable/socket are the best ones i had ever saw on any laptop they lock properly and stay locked not like my 5740G that if u keep moving around it will just pop out same as my 7745G and the compaq/hp's i also have
    Well 130 bucks is the damage. Not bad I was sweating bullets. Have it back in a few days. I’ll be more careful this time but I’ll probably gorilla glue this one is too. I’ll pay 130 bucks every few years.