Acer M5 481PT replacement fan

aceski
aceski Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Where can i get a quiet replacement fan? Tried twice from ali-express and once from Amazon. Amazon ended up being Ali-express. What a scam they were all the same loud junk fans. Sounded like buzzsaws. Tried cleaning up the old fan and putting it back in. It was quiet for a bit but then went back to being loud. Maybe give the old fan a squirt of oil? Any advice? Would really like my laptop to be quiet. 

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,851 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Since an ACER part number isn't listed, I zoomed in on the manufacturer part numbers for both the heatsink and fan for the Sunon fan unit. So it may well be used by other laptop makers like Lenovo, HP, Asus, etc. Heatsink=S120208-0001-209-015, Fan=EG50060V1-C020-S99120119 Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    No oil! Under heavy (gaming) loads with CPU & GPU temps near 90*C, some models actually have two fans running at over 4,000rpm. In addition to a normal high pitched primary frequency whine, beat frequencies between the two will add lower-pitched harmonics. I expect the sound would be more like an old souped up twin-engine DC3 than a buzzsaw.   :) They are moving a lot of air! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aceski
    Is it possible to get a new oem fan? It was quiet
  • JackE
    I doubt brand new OEM (they also can made be from different manufacturers so they have no ACER part numbers --- see fan modules below) fans would be any quieter if you use them at the high CPU and GPU loads that you seem to be using the laptop now. I suggest that you try alternately vacuuming the air intakes and blowing air thru the air exhausts a dozen or so times to dislodge any dust and debris that might be clogging the inside of the thermal modules causing the fans to run at these high speeds. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aceski

Thanks Jack:

Let me clear up the confusion. My original fan has become loud only on startup. It goes back to normal after a few minutes. The replacement fans are the opposite. They are quiet on startup and then become loud like a buzzsaw after startup. I dusted off my original fan and put it back in. That helped but didn't solve the problem. Currently I prefer the original fan to the replacement fans because it is only loud on startup.

You were right about there being an excess load on the CPU. Microsoft was running some telemetry program that was using 30% of the CPU. Killing that off did quiet the fan a bit more. Maybe that was all that was needed to be able to stand the replacement fans, don't know.

Last question: I googled the heatsink you listed. It appears that is the OEM part for a Lenovo? That puppy will work? I'm thinking about ordering it.

Thanks again

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Since an ACER part number isn't listed, I zoomed in on the manufacturer part numbers for both the heatsink and fan for the Sunon fan unit. So it may well be used by other laptop makers like Lenovo, HP, Asus, etc. Heatsink=S120208-0001-209-015, Fan=EG50060V1-C020-S99120119 Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ