PT715-51 WD SSD not being seen at all

ZerkerEOD
ZerkerEOD Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
As the title says the WD 1TB NVMe SSD doesn't get seen by anything not even in the BIOS which I have never seen in my entire life. Anyone have any luck with WD Black drives or anything cheaper than the way over priced 960-970 EVO or PRO drives??? I am really at the point that I wish I never bought this laptop, since it has had problem after problem and for having a 1080 its not even that great.... Plus ACER doesn't care about their laptops or their customers or how they feel.

Answers

• ZerkerEOD
    Anyone know what they have in theirs that works?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Have you tried the SSD on both M.2 ports by itself? 

The GTX 1080 is Max-q, so it is a bit slower than the regular 1080.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ZerkerEOD
    No, because I had so many issues when trying to swap out originally for the 1TB 960 EVO, that I wasn't going to remove that one from Slot 1. I know the Slot works though because I removed the 256 GB PNY one I have in it currently for the WD one. The PNY is seen before and after. I am in the process of returning the WD to Newegg, and was hoping that someone knew a specific one that will work in slot 2 for the triton 700
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    There is some incompatibility between the laptop and WD SSDs when they are installed along with another drive. It has something to do with the SATA mode being set to RAID. Unfortunately, there is no way to set it to AHCI.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!