[ Nitro AN515-52 ] How to safely remove my HDD as a recovery disk?

ADatu
ADatu Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi Everyone,

I have a Nitro AN515-52 with a hybrid SDD and HDD. I used Intel Rapid Storage Technology with the intention to enable to Intel Optane Memory option but made a mistake and ended up making my HDD stuck as a recovery disk. Now I would like to remove my HDD as a recovery disk so I could use my HDD as a regular storage to save my files. 

I've already attempted to reformat my laptop many times using the Reset this PC option but it didn't solve the issue.

I can access my HDD if I click the Access recovery disk files option on Manage page of Intel Rapid Storage Technology but its read only. Tried to use diskpart to clear the read only state but it returns back to read only.

I've also tried to set it to AHCI instead of IRST on BIOS but I don't know what to do next.

Can't get into the Raid Bios as well.

My HDD currently appears as:
SATA_Array_0000
Volume_0000
Type: Recovery
Port location: Internal
Usage: Recovery disk
Disk data cache: Enabled
Native command queuing: Yes

I've encountered the RAID issue thread for a Predator laptop and followed the instructions.
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/523405/raid-issue?breakffcache=cac0d

Currently on the step where I would need a Raid Tool.

Is there a Raid Tool for Nitro AN515-52?

( I'm not sure if I'm doing it the right way for this model)

Would be glad for any help I could get.

Answers

• ADatu
    ADatu said:
    Hi Everyone,

I have a Nitro AN515-52 with a hybrid SDD and HDD. I used Intel Rapid Storage Technology with the intention to enable to Intel Optane Memory option but made a mistake and ended up making my HDD stuck as a recovery disk. Now I would like to remove my HDD as a recovery disk so I could use my HDD as a regular storage to save my files. 

I've already attempted to reformat my laptop many times using the Reset this PC option but it didn't solve the issue.

I can access my HDD if I click the Access recovery disk files option on Manage page of Intel Rapid Storage Technology but its read only. Tried to use diskpart to clear the read only state but it returns back to read only.

I've also tried to set it to AHCI instead of IRST on BIOS but I don't know what to do next.

Can't get into the Raid Bios as well.

My HDD currently appears as:
    SATA_Array_0000
    Volume_0000
    Type: Recovery
    Port location: Internal
    Usage: Recovery disk
    Disk data cache: Enabled
    Native command queuing: Yes

I've encountered the RAID issue thread for a Predator laptop and followed the instructions.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/523405/raid-issue?breakffcache=cac0d

Currently on the step where I would need a Raid Tool.

Is there a Raid Tool for Nitro AN515-52?

( I'm not sure if I'm doing it the right way for this model)

Would be glad for any help I could get.

Forgot to mention that I'm not seeing an option to set UEFI on BIOS. 
    Not sure how to check if it is on Raid 0 or Raid 1.

I've just encountered these pages
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/551111/nitro-an515-52-recover-my-hdd-after-intel-rst-made-it-a-recovery-drive
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/552475/hdd-not-showing-in-this-pc-after-accidentally-creating-intel-rapid-storage-technology-please-help/p2

Trying to confirm some information first before I proceed. 

Any help would be appreciated.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Type: recovery = RAID1
    i think the only solution is to boot to windows recovery and choose command prompt under Troubleshot/Advanced options
    https://recoverit.wondershare.com/windows-pe/how-to-repair-windows-10-using-command-prompt.html

then use diskpart and do a clean all command on the HDD.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ADatu
    IronFly said:
    i think the only solution is to boot to windows recovery and choose command prompt under Troubleshot/Advanced options
    https://recoverit.wondershare.com/windows-pe/how-to-repair-windows-10-using-command-prompt.html

Will try this out.
  • ADatu
    IronFly said:

Hi IronFly,

The HDD is not appearing when I tried accessing it on the command prompt.

• ADatu
    The HDD only appears when I click the Access recovery disk files option on Manage page of Intel Rapid Storage Technology
  • IronFly
    can you try a live USB Gparted distro?
    https://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-live-0.33.0-1-amd64.iso

create a bootable USB flash drive (GPT partition scheme/FAT32 formatted).
    Enable F12 boot menu on BIOS and disable secure boot on security tab (need to create an admin pass on BIOS, please write it down somewhere).
    once done, boot with the USB flash drive connected and press F12 key, choose the USB flash drive and check if Gparted is able to see the HDD, if not...

if not, iRST triggered the RAID controller to switch to RAID1, so the only way to wipe the HDD is to take it off from the laptop and connect it to another PC and wipe it.
  • ADatu
    IronFly said:
    can you try a live USB Gparted distro?
    https://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-live-0.33.0-1-amd64.iso

create a bootable USB flash drive (GPT partition scheme/FAT32 formatted).
    Enable F12 boot menu on BIOS and disable secure boot on security tab (need to create an admin pass on BIOS, please write it down somewhere).
    once done, boot with the USB flash drive connected and press F12 key, choose the USB flash drive and check if Gparted is able to see the HDD, if not...

if not, iRST triggered the RAID controller to switch to RAID1, so the only way to wipe the HDD is to take it off from the laptop and connect it to another PC and wipe it.
    Downloading now
  • ADatu
    I've already enabled F12 on boot menu.

How do I disable secure boot if the options are as follows?
    Should I set password for both (HDD0 and HDD1)?

• ADatu
    Was able to disable it now
  • ADatu
    This happened when I ran gparted

What should I do next?
    Did I execute it correctly?
  • ADatu
    ADatu said:
    This happened when I ran gparted

What should I do next?
    Did I execute it correctly?
    it is currently stuck with the white line continuously blinking. Is this normal?
  • IronFly
    nope, not normal but you did correctly.
    ok, this confirm my suspicions, iRST triggered the chipset to set to RAID1 and gparted is not able to boot with this setting.

you have only one choice...take the HDD off your laptop and format it using another PC or an HDD enclosure.
  • ADatu
    IronFly said:
    nope, not normal but you did correctly.
    ok, this confirm my suspicions, iRST triggered the chipset to set to RAID1 and gparted is not able to boot with this setting.

you have only one choice...take the HDD off your laptop and format it using another PC or an HDD enclosure.
    I see.. 

Would probably need to find an enclosure.

Would I need to do anything special when I format it.

First thing that I can think that would probably block me is its read-only state.
    I've already tried using the “attributes disk clear readonly” command of diskpart but the Current Read Only State keeps on returning to "Yes". ( Done this while it is still plugged on my laptop as a Recovery )
    How to remove its read-only state?
    Would the diskpart clean all do the trick?

How about the SSD where my OS is running?
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology is displaying an error whenever the HDD is not being detected.
    Should I re-install the OS from bootable USB instead? (I usually re-install using the reset button because of the license key)

Sorry, too many questions..
  • IronFly
    edited March 2019
    once you take off the HDD, you can solve the read only and wipe it, since the RAID array is blocking as read only to save your recovery data.

the error is "normal" since without the HDD the RAID array is deteriorated, i stronlgy suggest you to create a recovery USB flas drive using the Acer center utility, once done you can re-install the OS from it.

By the way, if you are not in an hurry, i highlighted this issue  and will see if in two weeks (just my guess) we can find an easy solution.
  • ADatu
    IronFly said:
    once you take off the HDD, you can solve the read only and wipe it, since the RAID array is blocking as read only to save your recovery data.
    Got it, will do that. Might be able to borrow an enclosure tomorrow.
    IronFly said:
    the error is "normal" since without the HDD the RAID array is deteriorated, i stronlgy suggest you to create a recovery USB flas drive using the Acer center utility, once done you can re-install the OS from it.
    This is already done. I've followed the set of instructions found from another thread. 
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/523405/raid-issue

IronFly said:
    By the way, if you are not in an hurry, i highlighted this issue  and will see if in two weeks (just my guess) we can find an easy solution.
    Thank you for all the help. Greatly appreciate it.  =)

Will send an update once I get to wipe my HDD and reformat my SDD.
  • ADatu
    IronFly said:

Hi IronFly,

Your advise worked! 

Had  to reinstall all the drivers from scratch but I got the result that I was looking for.

Thanks for the help!  =)

• Paramac
    Paramac Member Posts: 3 New User
    IronFly said:

How did you go with an easy solution to this one, IronFly?