Dual boot in SSD+HDD?

drasticpsych
drasticpsych Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I want to install parrot security os or kali Linux in my Predator Helios 300, I have windows 10 in my SSD  I need to install the Linux version in HDD , How to do this?
Windows 10 boots on Windows bootmgr!

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night drasticpsych !

Do you have advanced knowledge of security systems based on Linux architecture?
    You know that most parts of the Parrot and Kali tools only work by way of command, do not they?
    I am a Consultant and Security Analyst.

However, if you perform the installation in this way, you will have boot problems because the Windows Boot Manager will always try to boot first.

To perform a certain installation, you must partition the SSD (where your Windows is) and install in order, Parrot and then Kali.
    remember to reserve space because some updates of both can occupy much gigabytes.

That way Kali GRUB will manage all your bootable operating systems.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,749 Pathfinder
    Simplifying what @MaClane said (with all due respect):

Partition windows installed SSD to make space for Linux (be generous in allocating space).
    Install Linux.
    Let Grub manage boot manager.

If you install Linux first and then Windows, will will take over and always boot into Windows.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
  • drasticpsych

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    Actually sir @MaClane @sri369 I want an answer, can i use HDD for kali or parrot when my win 10 is on my SSD?
  • MaClane
    You can.
    But initialization errors will occur between HDD and SSD.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,749 Pathfinder
    Actually sir @MaClane @sri369 I want an answer, can i use HDD for kali or parrot when my win 10 is on my SSD?
    If you are a pro and can resolve your issues without breaking monitor: yes
    if you are a non pro: no
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
  • drasticpsych

Tinkerer

What kind of errors do occur @MaClane
  • MaClane
    What kind of errors do occur @MaClane

The most basic is that each boot manager will be installed separately.
    This will always require access to bios or BootLoad to choose which HD to boot.

Secondly, if it is installed in this way, it is possible that both parrot and kali do not have access to the Windows files on the SSD, since partition tables must be handwritten and Windows NTFs on another drive may generate read errors.

Another point is that in this method, you should install the Parrot and then only the Kali.
    If you install Parrot at last, Grub will not initialize Kali.
    Unless the versions you have are Grub 2.0.
    However, this error may occur.

What's more, if you do not have advanced knowledge in Linux architecture systems, I suggest you start with a simpler one because both versions you quoted require advanced know-how mostly on command line and Bash.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• drasticpsych

Tinkerer

As far now can I go with only parrot OS on HDD using grub not Kali! Since i feel comfortable with parrot because I started Command line Linux with parrot?  I that suggestible?