1809 update bricks Intel graphics on aspire E5-576G-5762

BrendanP
BrendanP Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
I wanted to create a new thread about the Windows 10 1809 update.

I performed a clean-install of Windows (1809 version) since then; I've experienced crashes; screen scrambles and lock-ups, and basic tom-foolery.

When the screen does lock up, the laptop ends up shutting down within 10 seconds or so.

These symptoms will happen within a minute of boot, or, after hours of use.

I can't find any rhyme or reason to the failure state.

I've tried various Intel drivers (of course the Acer-approved drivers first) but the problem persists.

It's not hardware related as the laptop runs great under Ubuntu (using both graphics cards)...so I'm convinced it's an interaction between Intel U620 drivers and Windows 1809. 

If anybody has found a solution to this issue (other than rolling back to 1803) I'd love to hear it.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2019
    @BrendanP

If I were in your shoes, I'd start completely over.  I'd back up my important personal files and wipe the drive, load the BIOS defaults, and re-install Windows.
    It's possible that you may be experiencing the catastrophic failure of mixing modern windows drivers with legacy drivers as describe in links below. Apparently, they are like oil and water.....they don't mix on the same machine......and you must follow the correct procedure when moving from one to the other.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2018/12/03/intel-modern-drivers-windows-10.aspx

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031275/graphics-drivers.html

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/281409-intel-adds-support-for-universal-windows-drivers-with-latest-graphics-release

After you re-install Windows, and if your system is stable, I would make sure that I had the latest BIOS.  Make sure your system is running on the default UEFI settings.  It's ok if you enable the F12 boot menu, but that's about it.

If you did a clean install, there'd be no way you could roll back to 1803.  So you didn't do a clean install.

And as a last resort, you can order your original Acer OEM recovery drive from Acer......and get a fresh start.  :)
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • BrendanP

Tinkerer

@Jordan:

Thanks for the tips. It was indeed a clean install (first thing I did was pull the 250GB SDD and replace with a 1TB)...my use of "Roll back" was inaccurate...I should have said, "Move back to an earlier version" The machine (with the new SDD) has never had 1803 on it...just 1809.

My question for the community is: Is there anybody out there running 1809 on an E5-576G-5762 with dual Intel and NVIDIA graphics cards successfully?

• BrendanP

Tinkerer

Quick Update: I installed the latest Windows 10 patch (KB4482887) which is getting a bad rep at the moment for causing performance degradation in some games (not really a concern for me)...so far, the system has been stable. I've been in Windows 10 a majority of the day today; with several reboots back and fourth into Ubuntu (getting my bluetooth headphones to pair with the same key in Windows and linux) and no problems...no glitches, crashes, etc.

I'll keep the group posted...but so far, so good!